Nitro AN515-53 Keyboard issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jaydemir

Nitro AN515-53 Keyboard issue

Post by Jaydemir »

So I was in the market for a new laptop and figured the specs in the Acer Nitro 5 were the way to go for the price. Core i5 8th gen, gtx 1050ti, etc etc.

The issue I'm having is that when I install anything that isn't windows, the typing experience is horrible. At intermittent times, the response to the keyboard will slow to a crawl and the letters will appear in the wrong order (which absolutely screws muscle memory password entry).

So far I've tried:
Mint 19
Pop OS
Ubuntu 18
Elementary OS (ubuntu 16)
Even freaking Manjaro with the latest non-experimental kernel (4.17 or something).

Absoultely. Nothing. Works.

I have sparsely tried a usb keyboard and havent had issues with that, but it defeats the entire purpose of a laptop. I really don't want to have to run Windows on this thing but I do a fair bit of writing so I absolutely need something that can type without lagging (kinda like the core2duo laptop I replaced with this one).

I don't think its a Linux issue so much as it's an OEM Anti-Linux issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or am I out 700 bucks? Stupid bestbuy return window was too short.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nitro AN515-53 Keyboard issue

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Jaydemir

Re: Nitro AN515-53 Keyboard issue

Post by Jaydemir »

So I FINALLY figured out what the issue is.

The touchpad has two modes in the BIOS: Basic and Advanced.

I have no idea what the difference is, but obviously Advanced only works in Windows (because acer doesn't know what Linux is).

Basic, on the other hand, works with the traditional open source drivers so I can use my touchpad on Linux...

HOWEVER

When it's switched to Basic mode, the keyboard input lag is intense, horrible and unusable (Any distro, even if it's freaking shell with no display server at all). If I switch it to Advanced and use Linux, the lag goes away, but I lose my touchpad.

For ME, it's no problem because I use a USB mouse anyway, the touchpad was just a nice-to-have for scrolling and stuff.

But those are my choices. Working keyboard with no touchpad, or touchpad with unusable keyboard, on a $700+ laptop with the newest hardware.

Thanks Acer.

Return to “Hardware Support”