Possible bug with USB 3.0 driver in 18.3 and 19

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Possible bug with USB 3.0 driver in 18.3 and 19

Post by Valsodar »

I installed 19 on my sister's PC and I remained with 18.3 on mine (I wanted to see how 19 will perform before I put it on my PC). In all that time there was a problem with flash drives - uploading files to them was happening at speeds like 150 megabytes per second and above which is impossible for these flash drives. I tried formatting them with different file systems, even different programs but nothing changed.
Earlier today it occured to me that USB 3.0 is relatively new hardware and it's possible that it's not yet fully supported by Mint and Linux in general. So I attached each flash drive to the USB 2.0 ports and started uploading large files on them (the Mint ISOs, actually) and surprise - the upload speed on both was quite normal for each FD - 8 MB/sec for the older one, 15-23 MB/sec for the newer.
So: either there's some kind of a bug with the USB 3.0 driver OR the general Mint hardware support for USB 3.0 is poor to none. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Possible bug with USB 3.0 driver in 18.3 and 19

Post by MrEen »

Valsodar wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:09 pm - uploading files to them was happening at speeds like 150 megabytes per second and above which is impossible for these flash drives.

surprise - the upload speed on both was quite normal for each FD - 8 MB/sec for the older one, 15-23 MB/sec for the newer.
So: either there's some kind of a bug with the USB 3.0 driver OR the general Mint hardware support for USB 3.0 is poor to none. :roll:
Is there a typo somewhere? USB3 is more than 10x faster than USB2 which is about what you've shown in your post.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

No typo. In Windows environment (Windows 7) the same flash drives had the same speed (their normal transfer speed) when attached to the 3.0 port. And just because 3.0 is 10 times faster than 2.0, that doesn't mean the hardware will operate at that speed. It just means it supports 10 times faster speed IF the hardware is capable of that. If you need an example - take a SATA3 hard disk or an SSD and attach it to a SATA1 motherboard. You will get the transper speeds of SATA1, not SATA3. If you attach a SATA1 hard disk to a SATA3 mother board, you will have SATA1 transfer speeds.
It's the same with USB 2 and 3 - the hardware operates at its maximum speed, not at the maximum speed of the port.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Alrighty then.

Return to “Hardware Support”