Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen compatible?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintMoxy

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen compatible?

Post by MintMoxy »

Is the newest X1 Carbon laptop fully compatible with Linux Mint? Are there any owners on here that can confirm whether they have any problems?

I would be extremely grateful for any comments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen compatible?

Post by xenopeek »

You can try searching for any Ubuntu 18.04 reviews about this laptop. Linux Mint 19 uses the hardware stack from Ubuntu 18.04 so if Ubuntu 18.04 works well with it, generally so will Linux Mint 19. The ThinkWiki may provide help in case something doesn't work: https://www.thinkwiki.org. For the laptop you're asking about these are the detailed specs: https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category ... _(6th_Gen).

Personally I went with Dell XPS 13 because I didn't want to pay Microsoft tax.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

MintMoxy wrote:.
AFAIK, it(= 8th-gen Intel processor) is not fully-supported by LM 19's kernel 4.15, eg freezing problems. You may need at least Linux kernel 4.17.
phil_n

Post by phil_n »

Using Linux Mint 19, the touchpad (SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad) and the trackpoint do not work out of the box on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen.
When I try moving the mouse pointer using the touchpad it moves for a split second and then nothing happens. It freezes. The track point is also dead.

LM 19 uses the Xserver-xorg-input-libinput driver for the touchpad (and possibly other input devices). It seems it replaced the Xserver-xorg-input-synaptics driver.

It seems hard to get a viable solution searching the Internet. Any advice is appreciated
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

phil_n wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 am Using Linux Mint 19, the touchpad (SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad) and the trackpoint do not work out of the box on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen.
When I try moving the mouse pointer using the touchpad it moves for a split second and then nothing happens. It freezes. The track point is also dead.

LM 19 uses the Xserver-xorg-input-libinput driver for the touchpad (and possibly other input devices). It seems it replaced the Xserver-xorg-input-synaptics driver.

It seems hard to get a viable solution searching the Internet. Any advice is appreciated
sudo apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Hardware Support”