Issues with graphics drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cubixense

Issues with graphics drivers

Post by cubixense »

So I have always had issues with all kinds of drivers for my gtx 960m on linux. I just did a clean install of linux mint 19 cinammon and for the first time my laptop booted with the nouveau drivers without using nouveau.modeset=0. It was working so well. It had zero screen tearing and no other problems. The only issue that I am facing is that I simply cannot shut down my laptop with the nouveau drivers. The laptop simply freezes. I was able to solve this issue by using the proprietary nvidia drivers (390) but then I got screen tearing. I have tried to get rid of screen tearing on mint for 2 years now without any success. So I want help to shut down my laptop using nouveau drivers. Thank you for your help :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cubixense

Re: Issues with graphics drivers

Post by cubixense »

So weirdly enough, after I purged nvidia drivers and switched back to nouveau, things seem to be working fine. Laptop is also shutting down
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I assume you have a laptop with Optimus technology. There is now a solution for screen tearing when the Nvidia driver is installed. Tell me if you want to try that.
Mazokum

Post by Mazokum »

roblm wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:49 am I assume you have a laptop with Optimus technology. There is now a solution for screen tearing when the Nvidia driver is installed. Tell me if you want to try that.
Hi, I read on Reddit about a solution, it says:
All you need to do is edit /etc/default/grub and add nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

You can check if Prime Sync is working with:

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

This should return Y (yes)
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... tearing_3/

I tried this in my laptop with a GEFORCE 950M, linux mint 19 x64 and kernel version 4.15.0-20-generic but when I run the cat command it returns N.

I would love to hear about your solution. Thank you.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

That solution is the same. Would you use these commands in the Terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -SMCGx
ls /etc/modprobe.d
xed /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf
xrandr --prop | grep -i "prime synchronization"
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
When you run glxgears in the Terminal, is the framerate the same as the monitor’s refresh rate? Usually 60 FPS.

Return to “Hardware Support”