SOLVED: No boot disk detected or disk has failed

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

SOLVED: No boot disk detected or disk has failed

Post by HaveaMint »

I get this intermittently on boot up and it happens with different drives. I have 18.3 installed on two different drives and it does it on both, to me that says it probably isn't the drives. I am thinking it is the sata controller on the mainboard fixing to crap out. The connections are good. Any thoughts on this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
DAMIEN1307

Re: No boot disk detected or disk has failed

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im assuming it must be an HP computer...here are the following reasons why this may happen:...DAMIEN

Incorrect boot order settings
Missing operating system from the HDD
Hard Disk failure
Loose Hard disk connection to PC
Corrupt Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 pm im assuming it must be an HP computer...here are the following reasons why this may happen:...DAMIEN

Incorrect boot order settings
Missing operating system from the HDD
Hard Disk failure
Loose Hard disk connection to PC
Corrupt Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
Boot order is set correct, Why assume it's an HP and it is BTW?
HD fail on 2 drives?
The connections are good
Re-installed 18.3 , I thought the same on bcd
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

https://windowsreport.com/fix-no-boot-disk-detected/

...let me know if this is of any help...DAMIEN

ps...in answer to your question of how did i know it was HP...its a known HP situation...also why 18.3 on 2 different drives on same machine ? (you did say HD failure on 2 drives ?)...conflict with each other is possible ???
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Well that link doesn't really say how it is a HP fault, it only covers some areas that could be fault. I was answering to the failed HDD part when I said on 2 different drives, I installed the same OS on the second drive to see if it did the same and it did.. The odds are great that two would die at the same time which can happen except I said in the OP it is intermittent. It fails with the no boot message and next boot it works fine. This is why i'm suspecting a main board component failure.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im not saying that both failed at the same time...im trying to say that they are both competing with each other at the same time during boot up etc....why do you have the the same 18.3 versions on 2 different drives competing with each other?
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:23 am im not saying that both failed at the same time...im trying to say that they are both competing with each other at the same time during boot up etc....why do you have the the same 18.3 versions on 2 different drives competing with each other?
As I said in the above post.I installed the same OS on the second drive to see if it did the same and it did on the original drive. A test nothing more than a test to see if it did the same thing with a different drive. It was to test to see if it was a drive issue and I do not believe it is a drive issue
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

How can it compete with another drive if the bios is telling it to look at one drive for a boot, if it doesn't find a boot on the specified drive then it looks at the next drive and so forth. Like I said it is intermittent no matter if there is only one drive with an OS, or in the later test where I had installed on a different drive.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hmmmm...let see...we are looking for one drive for the bios to have boot up...but now we have two with the same name....hmmmm now let me decide which one with the same name should i boot up?....hmmmm....cant decide....they are both equal i guess...how should i know....im just a dumb computer....i guess the human who decided to put 2 operating systems with the same name on 2 different drives and then wanted me to guess which one to boot...now you tell us all...which one to boot without the system saying you have an error...DAMIEN
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Your acting stupid now thanks for attempting to help
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

if i am so stupid...how in the first place did i peg this as a known HP problem? and know it was installed and failed when you decided to install identical on 2 drives in a bid to replicate the problem ? ( you did say "btw" it was HP, how did you know in so many words or less) (and yes...i know how to solve the problem)...thanks for your "acting stupid" comment...the post was designed to get you to the right conclusion...DAMIEN

ps...your now on your own...hope someone else will be of help to you knowing how you already treat those that have tried.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04760917
This was the problem, it was disabled. All is fine now.

Return to “Hardware Support”