[SOLVED]Problems with a new HDD

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
olay1

[SOLVED]Problems with a new HDD

Post by olay1 »

Alright, so I am relatively new to Linux, and I have been using it for just a month. I am running a Ryzen 3 2200g (that was a nightmare to set up) and a ASrock AB350 pro4. I was using a 240 GB ssd for data storage, the OS (cinnamon, 4.18.1 kernel), games, etc. It started filling up pretty fast, so I decided to throw in a 1 TB HDD. I plugged it in, used GParted to create the partitions, set it up, threw the UUID in /etc/fstab, and got it working. I got tf2 up and running off the hard drive.

*fast forward the next day*
I boot up Linux, and then I get a load of errors, ending with "failed to start snappy daemon" (pictures in the imgur link below). I freak out, and restart my pc. Same error. I do the only logical thing of running recovery mode, and booting without graphics. Same error. So i shut down my pc, and unplug the hdd. I got even MORE errors (in imgur link), and i tinkered with that for a while, then I plugged it back in. I used the normal boot after that, and let it sit, as Linux fixes its own problems occasionally.
After about 30 minutes, I got to a screen highly resembling the ctrl+alt+f1 terminal. I used startx, got some errors (in imgur link). I tried deleting the uuid from fstab, but I got "file is Read-Only" or something like that. I tried to chmod it to 644 and 700, and that failed. After being extremely frustrated, I decided to go Timeshift back...and got unable to read errors. I restarted the system and went to the recovery menu and tried the options. For some reason, the option that makes the drive read/write able lets the "boot without graphical drivers" work. I am currently typing this from recovery mode, and it kinda sucks. I will try timeshifting in recovery mode and tell the few people who actually want to help how it goes.

As always, thanks for any response (if it is at least somewhat helpful).

https://imgur.com/a/IWsAPZT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
olay1

Re: Problems with a new HDD

Post by olay1 »

Ok, nvm, I got it running using timeshift. Sorry if I bothered you
pvanryn

Re: [SOLVED]Problems with a new HDD

Post by pvanryn »

FWIW, this problem may also be related to your Ryzen CPU rather than any mistakes in fstab.

I am using the same CPU with an Asrock AB350M-HDV and I occasionally get boot time hangs - for various reasons - but one of them is a HDD error. I usually just do a warm reset and it goes away, but I now mount my CIFS drives after the computer is completely booted to avoid hassles.

I'm actually very happy with this CPU, it was a great deal at $99, but I hope some of the problems with using Linux on it will get ironed out soon.
cam2000

Post by cam2000 »

Hi I am just about to build a pc with ryzen 3 2200g CPU and ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard, tomorrow I hope if the motherboard arrives
Have been reading up on software for this setup and there seems to be common thread of updating Bios on motherboard, using cinnamon desktop and updating linux kernel to 18. +
I tried last week and had a disaster the system did not show on the screen and when i switched cables on the mother board the socket came out of the board :oops: , I sent that one back MSI B350i AC pro "hope for a refund" and ordered this one.
pvanryn

Post by pvanryn »

cam2000 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 pm Hi I am just about to build a pc with ryzen 3 2200g CPU and ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard, tomorrow I hope if the motherboard arrives
Have been reading up on software for this setup and there seems to be common thread of updating Bios on motherboard, using cinnamon desktop and updating linux kernel to 18.
I tried a lot of different configurations, but finally settled on kernel 4.18.1, and Mesa 18.1.5 and I installed the bleeding edge AMD microcode. I still get occasional boot time hangs, but the system is stable once it is up and running, and I don't get any freezes.

Return to “Hardware Support”