BIOS HDD order changed, how do I fix a warn with RAID5?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazarus

BIOS HDD order changed, how do I fix a warn with RAID5?

Post by lazarus »

LM18.3 Cinnamon, RAID5

Due to an... errm... 'oversight' I only just updated my BIOS to the most current version.

Consequently a part of getting the PC to boot involved flushing the CMOS and re-entering the desired BIOS settings... but it seems to have detected the HDDs in a different order than it had previously. I manually moved the boot HDD to #1 in the boot queue, but the rest of the HDDs (the RAID5 set) are definitely in a different order and I don't remember what the previous order was.

I'm assuming that these drive's UUIDs don't necessarily correspond to the same /dev/sdNn allocations as before, because now in my system logs I'm being warned that new mount options do not match the existing superblock, will be ignored when mounting the RAIDs.

The RAIDs themselves are being assembled correctly via the superblocks & UUIDs (yay for redundancy!) but naturally I'd like to remove this warning from future boots.

How do I do so? Is it simply a matter of updating the superblocks?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BIOS HDD order changed, how do I fix a warn with RAID5?

Post by catweazel »

lazarus wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:13 am LM18.3 Cinnamon, RAID5
I can't answer your question directly as I've tossed out all my mdadm knowledge - I'm quite old and needed to make room for other stuff :)

What I want to do is bring something to your attention that may help you enormously in the future. I don't wish to alarm you either. I used to run twin RAID-10 mdadm arrays and one day, due to a power failure, I lost the lot. Fortunately I had a huge set of 25GB BluRay disc backups of my most critical data.

I ended up scrapping mdadm and bought a couple of Adaptec 6805T cards from China, brand new on FleaBay for under $US50 each, and haven't looked back. I now run two 10.8TB hardware RAID-5EE arrays. Depending on the value that you put on your data, I would recommend a hardware RAID solution. Adaptec works out of the box in Linux.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adaptec-ASR ... SwBV5aVhRj

All you will need are SAS to SATA cables: SFF-8087. One cable for up to 4 drives, two cables for up to 8 drives.

Good luck.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lazarus

Re: BIOS HDD order changed, how do I fix a warn with RAID5?

Post by lazarus »

Yes, I've thought about that; a few people have suggested I go that way.

I use RAID primarily to give me a period of grace when things start to go bad. It's not my "safe storage solution," I make full/incremental air-gap backups for that.

I'm of mixed mind when it comes to HW RAID. I guess it comes out of working in a dept. where purchasing was governed by accountants and minor details like compatibility lost out to dollars per unit. :x

Return to “Hardware Support”