Linux Mint 19 and Dell XPS 15 9560

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpasi

Linux Mint 19 and Dell XPS 15 9560

Post by tpasi »

Support Team,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 20 GB ram 250 GB Nvidia Graphics. I was running Linux Mint 18.4 and the laptop was performing phenomenally, but because 19 came out and could not resist to upgrade I did. While 19 performs magnificently, the boot time is terrible with 18.4 the boot time was less than time seconds now with 19 the boot time take about 1 minute. The BIOS is configure correctly. May it is something you might need to look at in the future 19.1? Beside this small issue I alm enjoying 19!

Thank you for giving us such a great Distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 19 and Dell XPS 15 9560

Post by catweazel »

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

systemd-analyze blame
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Also do the same for inxi -Fxz
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Kabé

Post by Kabé »

Hi tpasi,

Having a similar machine, a Dell XPS 13, I encountered the same problem. I finally upgraded to a newer kernel (4.17), which solved the problems for me. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it worked.
But, before you do that, you may want to wait for better informed solutions after having followed Catweazel's instructions...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Kabé wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:39 am I finally upgraded to a newer kernel (4.17), which solved the problems for me.
That is absolutely not tested or supported. If things take a turn for the worst then the OP will be expected to be knowledgeable enough to repair their system on their own.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Kabé

Post by Kabé »

Yes, I know, hence the last phrase in my previous message, but it is good to underline.
I started a thread in the LM chat about this Kernel question. But since I learned how to install and to revert to other kernels I took this risk, without knowing if it is a real solution or just a too radical a measure (workaround) to treat a minor problem. So, I am also curious to other (and better informed) solutions to tpasi's problem.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kabé wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:12 am Yes, I know, hence the last phrase in my previous message, but it is good to underline.
I started a thread in the LM chat about this Kernel question. But since I learned how to install and to revert to other kernels I took this risk, without knowing if it is a real solution or just a too radical a measure (workaround) to treat a minor problem. So, I am also curious to other (and better informed) solutions to tpasi's problem.
But you said you had the same problem on "a similar machine, a Dell XPS 13". That's not even the same make/model as the OP's so recommending an unsupported kernel makes even less sense.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Kabé

Post by Kabé »

Same make, different model. My move to another kernel worked for me, it might work for tpasi. But I agree that he should only try it when he knows how to get back to the original kernel. But instead to continue picking on me, it would be more helpful to address tpasi's problem with a solution that makes more sense, in your eyes.

Return to “Hardware Support”