cursor is all out of whack

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dlwilson88

cursor is all out of whack

Post by dlwilson88 »

Hi to all, I have an issue with my cursor multiplying exponentially as I move it across the screen.
If I go 10 inches there will be a blinking trail of duplicate cursor arrows that looks like a centipede crawling across the screen. As soon as I stop moving the mouse ( which is a Logitech G502 connected to the Chromebooks USB 3.0 port I disabled the touchpad but the problem still persists)

Im running Linux Mint 19 Tara with the Cinnamon desktop from a USB 3.0 on a HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE . I did a full install to the 128 GB USB 3.0 and also boot from it. it's not running parallel with the chromeos out of a chroot using crouton
Also this is not my first time running this set up, I have done this with Xubuntu, Kali-Linux and Debian and have never seen the cursor going wild like this.... any ideas as to what might be causing this issue? Thanks in advance for any help!! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: cursor is all out of whack

Post by Moem »

dlwilson88 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:13 am As soon as I stop moving the mouse
Yes? What happens?

Cinnamon might be a little on the heavy side for your machine... can you please post the result of the following terminal command, and enclose it in code tags? That's the button marked </>.
This is needed for pretty much any question about your system, so it's a good habit to post it straight away.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you're having trouble doing this, let me know and I'll explain more.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dlwilson88

Post by dlwilson88 »

Code: Select all

dlw88@hp:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: hp Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop System: GOOGLE product: Relm v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           Mobo: N/A model: N/A serial: N/A BIOS: coreboot v: N/A date: 08/06/2017
Battery    BAT0: charge: 45.4 Wh 100.0% condition: 45.4/45.0 Wh (101%) model: 333-1C- AS03044 status: Charging
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N3060 (-MCP-) arch: Airmont rev.4 cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6400
           clock speeds: max: 2480 MHz 1: 481 MHz 2: 580 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.06hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 155.6GB (11.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 15.8GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sda model: Ultra size: 124.8GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdb model: Ultra size: 30.8GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 37G used: 1.1G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /usr size: 4.6G used: 4.0G (94%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-3: /var size: 9.2G used: 885M (11%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-4: /boot size: 923M used: 151M (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-5: /tmp size: 4.6G used: 38M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-6: /home size: 55G used: 159M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-7: swap-1 size: 3.82GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 215 Uptime: 5:30 Memory: 1887.0/3892.4MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
"As soon as i stop moving the mouse and click anywhere on the desktop screen it will make all of the cloned cursors stop blinking and disappear"
Thanks for the quick reply and heads up on the inxi command...
and I believe your right these Chromebooks are good for browsing the internet, e-mail social media etc but lack the extra ram needed to run heavier operating systems.
dlwilson88

Post by dlwilson88 »

I also believe I made a couple of mistakes on my partitions when I did the initial install, not sure if this has anything to do with the current issue. I'm sorta new to the Linux world ( about a year now) but I have come to realize that I'm not sure how or why their is even a demand for Windows with all the options/ distros in Linux available not to mention the ability to hack to your hearts content... I'm watching alot of the new LinkedIn Learning tutorials and just jumping feet first into doing whatever I can with the Linux kernel until I finally figure it out!!! :D
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this is a shot in the dark here...i have 2 logitec mice and logitec keyboard, all wireless...i also had similar problems with both acting very dodgy...then i got the bright idea to unplug them from USB 3.0 and plugged them into my USB 2.0 on both the desktop and laptop computers...everything behaved after that...it seems that older logitecs that were designed as USB 2.0 have this situation as i have found others here in town with the same problem and this solution worked...have no idea if this will work for you but worth a try...DAMIEN
dlwilson88

Post by dlwilson88 »

I ended up making sure both the chrome os and Linux Mint
were using the most up to date versions, which they both were and restarted the system and when I logged back in the issue , whatever it was causing the glitch was no longer an issue. Not really sure what was causing the issue or why it was behaving like that.... :?:
AlexChernobyl

Post by AlexChernobyl »

Greetings, were you ever able to pinpoint the problem? I too have the same issues on anything other than a kde desktop environment. I initially have trouble with kde, but I can solve the problem very easily. I am a fan of Linux mint. It runs great on my laptop, but on my "all in one" desktop with the same integrated graphics that you have, I am at a loss. I've tried several other distro's and none have worked out of the box. Any guidance or pointers would be appreciated. The sporadic fragments and mouse pointers flying all over both screens is misersting, to say the least. Thanks in advance!
Peddie

Post by Peddie »

Hi everybody. I am also experiencing this problem. I have previously encountered it on netrunner 18.03 (KDE Plasma 5) and was advised to change the compositing which I did (from OpenGL 2 to 3.1 - XRender also worked). That was the end of my problem but I cannot do it in Cinnamon. Any suggestions?

Short history: Running Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 3.8.9, kernel 4.15.0-38 on Lenovo Ideapad 110, 4Gb RAM, Intel Integrated Graphics 3xxx/N3xxx. On first install of Mint (18.3) I never had any problems. Then I got an itch for KDE (for it's customization and KDE Connect) and installed first netrunner and then Manjaro. After a week I went back to Mint but installed KDE after removing Cinnamon. I couldn't find bluetooth (not loaded) and the network didn't start automatically until I installed Wicd. That didn't cut the ice for me so I removed KDE, did apt autoremove and apt purge and installed cinnamon again. Shortly after that the problems with the cursor started. Using an external mouse doesn't help and neither does disabling the trackpad (Fn+F6 on my 110).

BTW, I have the option in Settings to use Dolpin as my file manager, which I haven't noticed in my original install. Is this standard or a remnant of the KDE install?

Return to “Hardware Support”