Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Captain Brillo
Level 3
Level 3

[ Solved] Lenovo PCs on Ubuntu Hardware List

Post by Captain Brillo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:55 am

Really tired of hardware issues in Windows-designed boxes, and am looking at boxes on the Ubuntu Hardware List. Two HPs have been disasters, and I can't build another one cuz "old age vision."

I'm looking for selection advice between 2 Lenovos, one new and one refurbished. I know, go for new, except there's $150 difference.

Here's the Refurb:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops/t ... wers/m92p/
and I can buy this locally with a 14 day return on it.

Or the new one:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops-a ... hinkCentre
which I presume will be an online purchase.

Any feedback hugely appreciated, I'm so frustrated with keeping these damn things running.
Last edited by Captain Brillo on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I bork the Linux box, I learn something new - what a blast!
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway! Ha Ha!

nkoropoff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo PCs on Ubuntu Hardware List

Post by nkoropoff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:11 pm

I have two Lenovo Thinkcentre M710's that I purchased last December. They run Mint perfectly. I bought them with the default Intel graphics. I have been using IBM and Lenovo systems since 1994 and have not had many issues with all the various distributions I've used. In the last 10-15 years there have been no issues at all. I have never run Windows on my personal systems. Started with OS/2 and then migrated to Linux in 1996.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 pm

I've been using Linux for 16 years, and in that time I don't think I have ever come across a computer I couldn't install Linux on. Yes, there are people who post on the forums that they are unable to install Linux on their computer, but it's rare that somebody can't help them get it going, and probably most of the time when they can't it's because they refuse to follow instructions and give up. Probably the biggest problems will be on bleeding-edge hardware, as Linux might not have the drivers needed for a few months.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Captain Brillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Captain Brillo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Since there aren't a lot of HPs in the UHL, I think it's safe to say HP has issues with Linux. Both of my HPs have awful intermittent hardware issues that they didn't seem to have with Windows. (And their Windows support is really bad, fwit)
I also have an Intel mb/chip in a thrown-together-odds-and-ends-parts box that is way more reliable than the HPs. I want another one like that, but as I said, I can't see well enough to do that anymore, thus the IBM/Lenovo route.

Thanks, all.
Every time I bork the Linux box, I learn something new - what a blast!
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway! Ha Ha!

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 pm
I've been using Linux for 16 years, and in that time I don't think I have ever come across a computer I couldn't install Linux on.
Cool! PM your address. I'll send over my TRS-80 Level I 4k, serial number 0000023.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:00 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm
Cool! PM your address. I'll send over my TRS-80 Level I 4k, serial number 0000023
I haven't come across any of those since 2002, the 16 years I have been using Linux. I suppose one could strip down the Linux kernel to the barest essentials, compile it for Z80, burn some ROMs, and install those in the TRS-80 (with memory upgrades and so on). Probably have to write video drivers for it. Are the ROMs socketed or soldered in? But it would be much easier to install CP/M on your TRS-80. I used to have CP/M on my C64 (with the add-on Z-80 card). A friend had a "Standard Bus" (probably S-100) computer on which he ran CP/M. He had an idea for a video game, and I took the idea and ran with it. Wire-wrapped a TMS9918 video card and cranked out the game in Z80 assembly. Much fun! I do have a 386 machine (with Win3.11) here that I may install Linux on one of these days, just for fun.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Yah - - CP/M 2.2 8) better still,, convert it over to ZCPR3 - - super 8)
- that was a simply brilliant operating system . ...

anyway - Lenovo PCs - - I've still got several of those running various Linux Systems,
& with most even multi_booting various Linux Systems.

these are a good machine & there is lots of folks on this forum, that are running Levono PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:01 am

catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:10 pm
jimallyn wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 pm
I've been using Linux for 16 years, and in that time I don't think I have ever come across a computer I couldn't install Linux on.
Cool! PM your address. I'll send over my TRS-80 Level I 4k, serial number 0000023.
Just don't use it near an airport ... Trash-80s really don't like Doppler radar. LOL.

Return to “Hardware Support”