Getting a positively ancient ZTE phone Driver working (This is pre-Systemd levels of old)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StevenC21

Getting a positively ancient ZTE phone Driver working (This is pre-Systemd levels of old)

Post by StevenC21 »

Hey guys. So, I have an old phone, and I wanted to install an old driver for it... and it didn't work obviously. After reading the debug logs, it turns out that this thing is so old that the latest supported version was Ubuntu 13.04... which is pre-systemd... I was wondering if anyone could help me get this driver working? Google Drive Link to files are attached. Hope someone can help me. :)

Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-KKuIE ... sp=sharing
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Getting a positively ancient ZTE phone Driver working (This is pre-Systemd levels of old)

Post by jimallyn »

If you really want help with this, you should do three things:

1) Tell us the model of the phone.

2) Tell us which version of Linux Mint you are using.

3) Make the page where you have the information stored open so that anybody can look at it.

You need permission

Your request for access has been sent.

You will receive an email if and when your request is approved.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
StevenC21

Re: Getting a positively ancient ZTE phone Driver working (This is pre-Systemd levels of old)

Post by StevenC21 »

1. ZTE Majesty Pro LTE.

2. Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.

3. I thought it was - I'll fix that right now, sorry.
StevenC21

Post by StevenC21 »

Alright - Link updated.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Although even the kernel driver (a USB serial driver) seems to in fact still compile even against a current kernel, what happens if you simply plug the USB cable from phone to computer? Because that serial driver lists a lot of USB IDs that seem provided for by current kernels OOTB. Other than the serial driver this seems to otherwise consist of userspace MTP stuff; again usually provided for OOTB by gvfs-mtp.

That is, why do you or why do you believe you need this software at all?
StevenC21

Post by StevenC21 »

When I plug it in, it throws an error and simply doesn't show me the files.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

OK, "throwing an error" (the computer I suppose, not the phone) is already quite good insofar that the system recognizes that something happened; would mean that the software you posted is not, essentially, needed.

I don't know how ancient your phone is but here's information up to Android 4.3+ on how to connect as USB Mass Storage (UMS) rather than MTP: https://www.lc-tech.com/pc/how-to-conne ... rage-mode/ [edit: or http://www.device-recovery.com/how-to-c ... orage-mode which mentions Android 6 and 7]

"An error" is of course little information but it is an unfortunate fact that GVFS-MTP, i.e., that which on Linux systems provides you with access to MTP devices from the GUI, is quite brittle. If you can get the phone to connect as UMS that would likely fix any issue you have. If not it might be a matter of libmtp needing to be told it should be driving your device; a quick google seems to indicate this might not be possible without recompiling some stuff but let's first just see if you can connect as UMS.

If not, with the phone connected you'd want to run sudo mtp-detect and/or sudo lsusb. I might be able to find out how and where. You should in any case resist the temptation of trying to get that ZTE-supplied stuff going: both the usbserial and the MTP stuff there are standard; things should work without, and are unlikely to work better with.

Do however need to be away for now, so reply (from me) will be at best in a day or so...

Return to “Hardware Support”