Nvidia Server Settings App limited

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lucid37

Re: Nvidia Server Settings App limited

Post by lucid37 »

Roblm,

I dont remember if nvidia-prime was also removed. But I could see the little blue intel logo in the taskbar.
I just selected the intel graphics again so i could at least boot into the DE.

I just checked /proc/cmdline which displays the kernel parameters and it gave me this output strangely:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-20-generic root=UUID=d1c5344c-35fa-4f74-b246-d5d217b9c1a6 ro "acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=Windows 2009 quiet splash" nouveau.runpm=0

This last line is weird: nouveau.runpm=0

I definetely did not add that.

I will reinstall prime again as you say
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

The kernel parameter nouveau.runpm=0 is automatically added to grub after switching to the Intel GPU. It disables power management by the nouveau driver.

With the Nvidia GPU enabled, use this command and post the output: ls /etc/modprobe.d
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

Ok just selected the Nvidia GPU and here is the output of ls /etc/modprobe.d:

alsa-base.conf blacklist-framebuffer.conf intel-microcode-blacklist.conf
amd64-microcode-blacklist.conf blacklist-modem.conf iwlwifi.conf
blacklist-ath_pci.conf blacklist-oss.conf nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf
blacklist.conf blacklist-rare-network.conf vmware-fuse.conf
blacklist-firewire.conf dkms.conf
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

That output looks ok. Use the command ls /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and check if the files 10-nvidia.conf and 11-nvidia-prime.conf are listed.

Also try removing these kernel parameters: acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=Windows 2009
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

I've had to use these kernel parameters " I install Linux on my Asus Laptop:
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"

if I dont use those I cant even boot into the live environment of a live usb and do the
installation of the OS. Nor can I get to the login screen of the Installed OS afterwards.

I have no idea why and how those help, but when I use them it just works.

Coud you explain to me what they do and why I need them?
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

The 10-nvidia.conf and 11-nvidia-prime.conf are in that folder.
Also, nvidia-prime and nvidia-prime have been installed all along
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

Dunno guys, I'm out of ideas and decided to use Timeshift to go back to a snapshot of yesterday!
Hope that will sort things out.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

lucid37 wrote: I've had to use these kernel parameters " I install Linux on my Asus Laptop:
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"

if I dont use those I cant even boot into the live environment of a live usb and do the
installation of the OS. Nor can I get to the login screen of the Installed OS afterwards.

I have no idea why and how those help, but when I use them it just works.

Coud you explain to me what they do and why I need them?
Check the info in this link: https://static.lwn.net/kerneldoc/admin- ... eters.html

It's OK to use those parameters so add them back. While rebooting, at the GRUB boot menu select the correct line but don’t press Enter. Press the “E” key to edit. If no menu shows, then hold down the shift key while starting. Use the Down arrow key to go down to the line that starts with: linux /boot/vmlinuz.............ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Press the End key to go to the end of the line. Add a space and then type the parameter: nvidia-drm.modeset=0

Press F10 to start your system.

If that doesn’t work, then I suggest temporarily disconnecting the external monitor. Unfortunately, I will not be back online for about 2 hours.
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

Roblm,

Thanks for all your effort bud. I really appreciate it!!!

I am doing a timeshift restore and see what happens. will report back.
Speak to you later!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

After some more testing, I have experienced some more buggy behavior. I again added the nvidia-drm.modeset=1 parameter to grub, updated grub and rebooted. Running glxgears did not show the framerate was the same as the screen’s refresh rate. The parameter was not listed in the kernel command line in the Xorg.0.log file or when using the command cat /proc/cmdline.

However, if I manually add the parameter to the kernel command line at startup by typing E at the grub menu, then it worked. I restored a Clonezilla partition image backup to a time right after the Mint installation, repeated the steps and got the same results.

As an alternative, the parameter can be executed by adding the line options nvidia-drm modeset=1 to the nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf file. Open the file using this command:
xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf

Then update the initial ramdisk and reboot: sudo update-initramfs -u; reboot

I suggest trying that method initially with the external monitor disconnected.
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

Hi Roblm,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for all the effort you've put in to help me,
I do greatly appreciate it!

In the end after running out of ideas yesterday did a complete re-installation
of Mint 19. Now I am able to login again as normally.

This is the 2nd time I've tried to sort out my tearing issue, and both times I've
ended up with a bank screen after boot-up and not being able to access the
DE....and then reinstalling the OS. You can imagine how weary I am of trying
again! lol I fear that if I once again use the 'nvidia-drm modeset=1' option, that
I will have the same problem again.

I am not a complete newbie and have some linux experience under my belt
already and about to write the LPI LPIC-1 Exam soon. Could you give me
some more info on what exactly this command 'nvidia-drm modeset=1'
does and why one would use it. Understanding this better may better enable
me to sort out issues with it when they occur.

Thanks again!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

The use of the nvidia-drm modeset=1 parameter originates from this topic in the Nvidia Linux Graphics forum. Laptops and notebooks with Nvidia’s Optimus technology need to use PRIME Synchronization if screen tearing is present when the Nvidia GPU is enabled.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... onization/
The NVIDIA driver’s PRIME Synchronization support relies on DRM-KMS, which is disabled by default due to its current incompatibility with SLI. To enable it, run ‘sudo rmmod nvidia-drm; sudo modprobe nvidia-drm modeset=1’. In other words, load the nvidia-drm module with the parameter modeset=1.

If you don’t want to read all 23 pages of that topic, then read the first page and go to the last page and read posts 332, 340 and 342 from three users who have successfully used that paramenter.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try this line in Terminal, it shouldn't work in Cinnamon but since you're having no success with nvidia-drm modeset=1 this can't hurt and it won't break your system, you need to logoff ro end the command. try the command and test the tearing here https://ptpb.pw/K8Vr.webm

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t|tr '\n' ' '|sed -e 's/.*:: \(.*\)/\1\n/g' -e 's/}/, ForceCompositionPipeline = On}/g')" > /dev/null
Last edited by trytip on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

Thanks Roblm, will have a read through it.

Trytip, thank you, will run the command and see what happens.

The interesting thing is that I don't have tearing on the laptop screen and only on the 4k TV I have connected through the HDMI port.

I've read that there should be section in one of the config files (xorg.conf?) In which this external TV screen is specified with it's details (resolution etc), and that this is where the forcedcompisitionpipeline option should be set. But in that article the poster used Nvidia settings to get the details for his monitor, and that's where things went South for me since my nvidia-settings window just says something along the line of Prime can't control the monitors and therefore no details are shown.

Is there a way around it. I tried using xrandr but I just got confused and that's why I posted on the forum in the first place.

Do you guys have any advice on this?

Thanks.
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

trytip wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 am try this line in Terminal, it shouldn't work in Cinnamon but since you're having no success with nvidia-drm modeset=1 this can't hurt and it won't break your system, you need to logoff ro end the command. try the command and test the tearing here https://ptpb.pw/K8Vr.webm

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t|tr '\n' ' '|sed -e 's/.*:: \(.*\)/\1\n/g' -e 's/}/, ForceCompositionPipeline = On}/g')" > /dev/null
Hi trytip,

just tried the nvidia settings command and tested it. Am still experiencing the tearing. I just realized that my laptop's screen is tearing too. so both screens
are still tearing.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

time to break the system again Enable V-sync in Optimus with nvidia Prime try the deepin fix . do a timeshift snapshot and just restore and delete the new snapshot if things are the same
lucid37

Post by lucid37 »

Hi guys,

I happy to say that I managed to solve the issue!

First I had to add these kernel parameters to solve an acpi issue that I apparently had:

acpi_osi=Linux acpi_osi="!Windows20015"

Then I added the nvidia_drm modeset=1 option in a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/

After this I rebooted and voila, no more screen tearing!

Thank you for all your effort and time spent on this. Much appreciated!!

Return to “Hardware Support”