Mint cannot "see" FakeRaid drive on AMD Ryzen system

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedCMD

Mint cannot "see" FakeRaid drive on AMD Ryzen system

Post by RedCMD »

I have a ga-ax370m-ds3h motherboard (Ryzen CPU)
With a 1tb and 500gb HDD's in fake-raid 0 via the bios (uefi)
Windows 10 detects them fine (with a driver from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA ... taraidahci)
I'm going to install LM 19 Cinnamon on my SSD (m.2 Samsung 970 evo) and use the raid as my main storage
But LM (booted from USB) cannot find the drives
I've searched online for a bit and it seems that I need to compile my own kernel(?), which I prefer not to
The output from

Code: Select all

dmraid -l
and

fdisk -l
don't list the drives
Is there a driver that I can use? Or is there some program that will mount the drives? Or should I use windows 10 software raid 0?
Keep in mind that I'm only using it for storage, so I don't need (tho might be nice) them to mounted before/during LM booting
[EDIT]
How would I compile a kernal with the drivers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint cannot "see" FakeRaid drive on AMD Ryzen motherboard

Post by catweazel »

RedCMD wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:33 am I have a ga-ax370m-ds3h motherboard (Ryzen CPU)
With a 1tb and 1/2tb HDD's in fake-raid 0 via the bios (uefi)
First of all, what exactly does "1/2tb HDD" mean? Does mean half a TB, as in 500GB, or does it mean 1 x 2TB HDD?

Either way, setting different drive sizes to RAID means you will lose either 500GB from the 1TB drive (if 1/2tb means 500GB) or 1TB from the 1 x 2TB (if 1/2tb means 1 x 2TB) drive. It simply doesn't make any sense to RAID them. That said...

sudo apt install mdadm
sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
RedCMD

Re: Mint cannot "see" FakeRaid drive on AMD Ryzen motherboard

Post by RedCMD »

"1/2" as in half a tb (500gb)
yes I do lose some space, but 1tb in total is all I need
Its just that I cant access or even see the drives in LinuxMint
Windows can see them, but needs a driver to access them
Im raiding them for speed
Both drives (separate) max out at 140mb/sec
But when in raid 0 the speed is 250mb/sec
lazarus

Re: Mint cannot "see" FakeRaid drive on AMD Ryzen system

Post by lazarus »

Huh.

Did you try checking whether mdadm can locate the array? (mdadm is preferred to dmraid, but may not detect Promise RAID adapters, which AMD's fake RAID is based on . Still... worth a try.)

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

Also, some quirky fake RAIDs fail to be detected when dmraid -l checks for metadata handlers... and yet will still assemble using: sudo dmraid -ay

At worst it wll fail and you'll lose a whole 20 seconds worth of time checking. :)
RedCMD

Re: Mint cannot "see" FakeRaid drive on AMD Ryzen system

Post by RedCMD »

RIP

mint@mint:~$ sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically

Return to “Hardware Support”