my 2 problems with mint

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jason_pharvet

my 2 problems with mint

Post by jason_pharvet »

hi everyone,
I have a laptop with a broken LCD so I'm using an externel monitor for display
after a a fresh installtion of mint and even with LiveUsb the desktop does'nt appear except for the wallpapper and the welcome screen
https://ibb.co/iBBGGe
for me it appear just the blue zone and the real desktop is aside and I can't see it what I have to do in this case
my second problem is the beep that doesn't stop from when I power on the laptop but with windows the beeps stops when the windows logo appears
what can I do for this beeps to stop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jason_pharvet

Re: my 2 problems with mint

Post by jason_pharvet »

Any Help please :( :( :( :(
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dancer_69 »

I don't know about the beeps, but as for the display, I think that this happens because you have 2 monitors(1 the laptop's broken lcd and the other the external). Seems that the broken screen used as default by the system. So you need a way to change this. I think that if you move the mouse pointer in the external monitor and right click there, it will open the context menu which has the "Desktop settings" entry. Then if you click on that entry it will open the settings window. Then you can press the arrow icon at top left of the window and go up to System Settings. From there you can find and open the Screen Settings and set as main screen the external monitor.
jason_pharvet

Post by jason_pharvet »

yes with a right click on desktop it shows the menu context but when I choose desktop setting the setting window opens in the broken lcd
if there is a terminal command to change the default display screen it will be very helpful
dancer_69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dancer_69 »

jason_pharvet wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 am yes with a right click on desktop it shows the menu context but when I choose desktop setting the setting window opens in the broken lcd
if there is a terminal command to change the default display screen it will be very helpful
I have a dual monitor setup also and in my case the window opens in the screen which the cursor is. If this doesn't happen to you, then how will you open the terminal? If terminal can open in the external screen you can use xrandr.
xrandr --listmonitors
will display the connected monitors, e.g:

Code: Select all

0: +*DVI-D-0 1280/340x1024/270+0+0  DVI-D-0
1: +HDMI-0 1440/410x900/256+1280+0  HDMI-0
Then you can set the active monitor with:
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --primary (or whatever is the name of the monitor)

EDIT:
You can also try to blindy move the settings window to the external screen, by holding alt and click on it and drag it(it should open on the center of the screen).
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

jason_pharvet wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 am if there is a terminal command to change the default display screen it will be very helpful
There is, but you need to know the name of the display. xrandr -q will get you the names like this:

scott@scott-HP ~ $ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 16384 x 16384
DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-0 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 576mm x 324mm
   1366x768      59.96*+
   1360x768      59.96  
   1280x720      60.00  
   1024x768      60.00  
   832x624       74.55  
   800x600       72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25  
   640x480       75.00    72.81    66.67    59.94  
   720x400       70.08  
DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
scott@scott-HP ~ $ 
My output would have been different for DVI-0 had something been connected to it. To switch to DVI-0 instead of VGA-0 I could issue:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto
xrandr --output VGA-0 --off 
I don't know how helpful that will be if you can't see what's happening in the terminal. I thought of piping the output to nc termbin.com 9999 but you wouldn't see the link it generates.

Hopefully someone else will have a solution.

Good luck.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

This may be way out there, but do you have a keyboard combo to switch screens ? Possibly using the Fn (Function) key ?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

search for Display in your panel menu. what's it look like. you mean you haven't even opened the settings to check display?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@trytip , the programs open in the primary display, which is currently the broken lcd.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Another idea. Open the display settings again then press Alt F10. This should maximize the window. Move the mouse to the left so the pointer is probably at the left of the window then press and hold the Alt key and use the left mouse button to click and drag the window to the right. Don't release too soon because the window will return to normal size when you release and may not be far enough on the other display to stay there.

If this is successful, you then want to mirror displays so both show the same thing.

Hope that helps.
jason_pharvet

Post by jason_pharvet »

thank you to everyone takes from his time to help me
I finally solve the problem
I tried every think you sad guys but no think happened
intel I saw a button in my keyboard and I said let's try it and see hat happen
it gives me the options to choose "mirror display", "extend to the right", "laptop" "....." so the problem solved
thank you all again
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Nice work, jason_pharvet!

And nice suggestion, richyrich!

:D
jason_pharvet

Post by jason_pharvet »

But the beeps still tic alllllll the time :? :? :? :? :? any suggestion??
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jason_pharvet wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:54 am But the beeps still tic alllllll the time :? :? :? :? :? any suggestion??
The machine's BIOS is telling you something. Probably that the machine needs to be buried.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

It's beeping because of your broken LCD screen on the laptop.

Suggestions ? Go get an estimate at a computer shop for repair.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

richyrich wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:31 am It's beeping because of your broken LCD screen on the laptop.
I've not encountered this yet but it's indeed possible. Opening the machine & disconnecting the monitor cable should sort it though if this is the case; probably has a short between conductors if it's making it beep. Does changing the lid position affect it?

I completely removed the monitor assembly from the machine I'm using to type this, have two external monitors connected. Something like this may be an option.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yes, BIOS beeps are quite an enigma.

The OP's machine is most likely still sending power and signal to the LCD, but is not receiving any signal back from the LCD controller to the system.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

richyrich wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am The OP's machine is most likely still sending power and signal to the LCD, but is not receiving any signal back from the LCD controller to the system.
The OS should detect that, though (I know mine doesn't, it still thinks there's a monitor available at LDVS1 or whatever it is), and automatically disable it ... as long as such detection doesn't fall over in case of out-of-bounds resolution etc..
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Hardware Support”