Apple Magic Trackpad (ver 1)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbmorse

Apple Magic Trackpad (ver 1)

Post by rbmorse »

I just want to thank publicly all involved in making the Apple Magic Trackpad (ver 1) usable with Linux. Just basic functions so far (point, scroll, grab, click) but they function flawlessly and the trackpad no longer disappears from the system at random intervals.

I've missed being able to use this little jewel on my Linux machines for years, and last night I decided to give it a go just to see what happens. (Basic) trackpad nirvana is what happens.

I don't miss the "advanced" capabilities of the trackpad on OS X but i sure like having it available on Mint since I'm spending most of my time on that machine these days.

Well done, and thanks to all involved.

N.b. I understand there is still work to be done in providing support for ver 2 of the Apple trackpad. I don't have one of those, but will happily upgrade when that work is complete.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Apple Magic Trackpad (ver 1)

Post by all41 »

fwiw:
I use a Logitech T651 bluetooth rechargeable trackpad which was originally made and sold as an 'Apple only' device.
I added the repository package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics to gain full control.
Then in a terminal:
xinput --list
to find the trackpad device id (mine is 13)
then in a terminal:
xinput list-props 13
to see the list of adjustable attributes and functions. Substitute your device id in place of 13
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Hardware Support”