HD Graphics shows up as a Intel Ivybridge Mobile

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tredix

HD Graphics shows up as a Intel Ivybridge Mobile

Post by Tredix »

So, I'm new here so I don't know anything about this forum.
Some days ago I decided to install Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, everything works fine and no issues at all, just one single problem but I'm not sure if it affects my perfomances.
On "neofetch" my Intel HD Graphics shows up a strange GPU I've never heard about: Intel Ivybridge Mobile, which is strange because on other Ubuntu-based distros it appears as it should appear, an HD Graphics!
I though it was the program's fault so I've checked it out with a test and still shows up as an Ivybridge Mobile...
As I said, I don't know if it affects my performances but I want everything to be perfect, but so far video playback is smooth, also browsing and general usage.

Anything I could do to fix it or it's fine anyways?

(Sorry for my english, I'm italian...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: HD Graphics shows up as a Intel Ivybridge Mobile

Post by richyrich »

What is the output of this Terminal command: inxi -Gx
gm10

Post by gm10 »

What he said, inxi is quite a bit more sophisticated, it will give you a more useful output. neofetch just displays you the output of lspci, which in turn uses whatever device name is found in the pci.ids database, if any. HD Graphics is just the trade name, anyway.

That aside, it doesn't matter one bit whatever name is being displayed, it won't affect operation one way or another. The drivers don't care about the labels.
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tredix

Post by Tredix »

richyrich wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:44 pm What is the output of this Terminal command: inxi -Gx
This:
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
version: 4.2 Mesa 18.1.5 Direct Render: Yes
Tredix

Post by Tredix »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm What he said, inxi is quite a bit more sophisticated, it will give you a more useful output. neofetch just displays you the output of lspci, which in turn uses whatever device name is found in the pci.ids database, if any. HD Graphics is just the trade name, anyway.

That aside, it doesn't matter one bit whatever name is being displayed, it won't affect operation one way or another. The drivers don't care about the labels.
So if I understand the OS says it's a Ivybridge but in reality is acting just like it should?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Tredix wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:13 pm So if I understand the OS says it's a Ivybridge but in reality is acting just like it should?
It's not like it's wrong. Ivy Bridge is the codename for intel's 3rd generation Core processors, and the GPU is integrated into that CPU, so that's why you got that designation.

If things don't work as they should it wouldn't be due to the label. Now your non-standard Mesa version, on the other hand... ;) (don't worry about the problems you don't have - you said everything was working fine)
Tredix

Post by Tredix »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 pm
Tredix wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:13 pm So if I understand the OS says it's a Ivybridge but in reality is acting just like it should?
It's not like it's wrong. Ivy Bridge is the codename for intel's 3rd generation Core processors, and the GPU is integrated into that CPU, so that's why you got that designation.

If things don't work as they should it wouldn't be due to the label. Now your non-standard Mesa version, on the other hand... ;) (don't worry about the problems you don't have - you said everything was working fine)
Okay then!
Sorry and thank you for your patience...

Return to “Hardware Support”