Combo modem/router

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Combo modem/router

Post by chiefjim »

My system consists of a Motorola/Arris SB6141 modem with a Trendnet TEW-692GR router.

Several times over the past few months I'll lose Internet on this desktop (LAN connected). My VOIP device (Ooma) has remained connected. It is connected to a different LAN port. Currently connecting directly with the modem only.

To be fair I'm just now really getting started researching probable causes and potential solutions. Such as should I flash the router with WRT? Both the modem and router have been in service about 5 years. I have a 100/10 plan from Spectrum which works fine for me but I note they are now offering speeds greated than what the SB6141 handles. Might it be time to also consider an upgrade?

Looking with interest at the combination modem/routers currently available. A feature required is true MAC filtering. I want to block any device that is not listed on my whitelist. So far I've found only the TP-Link AC1750 with this feature. Any comments?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Combo modem/router

Post by chiefjim »

Consider my OP being placed on hold. Installed openwrt-18.06.1-ramips-rt3883-tew-692gr-squashfs-factory.bin

What a difference! Time to give this a chance to settle in before declaring a fix has been found.
richyrich

Re: Combo modem/router

Post by richyrich »

Yes, please let us know how it turns out. :)

Return to “Hardware Support”