RAM upgrade? [solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Black Swordsman

RAM upgrade? [solved]

Post by Black Swordsman »

I am currently running memtest on my laptop that has 4Gb of ram installed onto it but memtest is saying that I have 3839M of ram...I already know that I need to replace the hard drive in the computer but I was wanting to know if I might need to look into getting new RAM as well so that i have a working laptop?

I apologize that I cannot currently post my inxi -Fxz information right now due to wrighting this post using my phone and dealing with memtest.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: RAM upgrade?

Post by gm10 »

Probably 256 MB reserved for onboard graphics, check your BIOS settings.
Black Swordsman

Post by Black Swordsman »

Ok...in the bios I have five tabs, information, main, security, boot and exit. In the Main tab it states

System memory: 634 KB
Extended memory: 3070 MB
Video Memory: [256Mb]

(Apparently I can adjust the frame buffer size of the video memory, but I dont think that is something that I should mess with)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Up to you whether you want to mess with it, but either way, that's where your memory went, as I had suspected. So "problem" solved?

Return to “Hardware Support”