Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mayank6363
Level 1
Level 1

AMD R5 M330 with linux mint 19

Post by Mayank6363 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 pm

I recently switched from windows 10 to linux mint 19 and i am really enjoying the linux experience. But recently i checked my system info and it is only showing my integrated intel graphic driver and not my amd graphics. I have also used inxi -Fxz and in front of graphic driver section its showing "(unloaded: fbdev,vesa)". mint official site mentioned that AMD indicated they no longer wanted to support them and urged their customers to use open-source drivers instead and system will use open source drivers which are preinstalled.
So my question is that IS MY SYSTEM REALLY USING MY AMD GRAPHICS OR NOT ? or the only way to use amd graphics is to switch back to windows or any other linux distro (I really don't want to switch back to windows)

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Re: AMD R5 M330 with linux mint 19

Post by thx-1138 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:30 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:12 pm
...There are 3 options for AMD cards under Mint 19.x / Ubuntu 18.x, each one with it's own pros, cons & quirks.
However for this card, only #1 and probably #2 are applicable in your case.

#1 - the open source 'radeon' driver. It's already pre-installed, and autodetected if / when needed, no user interaction needed.
Meant to work mainly with older cards (like yours).

#2 - the newer but also open source 'amdgpu' driver. It's autodetected / autoconfigured if you have a newer card.
For older ones, as support for such cards is theoritically still somewhat experimental, it needs to be manually enabled (and tested).

#3 - the closed source amdgpu-pro driver. It ONLY works with newer cards (see 'Compatibility' in the page linked).

...if you open a terminal & type the following command, inxi -G, you'll very likely see that 'radeon' is already listed / loaded there.
thx-1138 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 pm
...since kernel 4.13, you can alternatively try out the 'amdgpu' driver on such instead of the previous 'radeon' one.
For such to take effect, as the article above describes, you need to pass radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 to grub's command line.
See here as well. You should then see 'amdgpu' under inxi's drivers section...

...not only it works pretty great for me with kernel 4.15 & the R5 M330, but compared to the older radeon,
it also appears to also have solved for me some long-standing annoyances with DRI_Prime=1 not working previously as it should...
Your mileage with such may vary of course:
if you find that amdgpu performs worse than the older radeon driver, just remove the parameter & update-grub back to what it was...
...for DRI_Prime=1...
For hybrid graphics / card switching in general...

Other than that, define "it is only showing my integrated intel graphic driver and not my amd graphics.":
showing or not showing 'what' exactly?... Post your inxi -Fxz output, & people will be able to make more educated guesses...

Sinfjotli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sinfjotli » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am

Hello,

I'm trying to make my AMD graphic card working on Linux Mint 19 too ang have similar problem.
My inxi -G

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 3184
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting,ati,amdgpu [b](unloaded: fbdev,vesa)[/b]
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 605 (Geminilake)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5
Question 1: I have AMD radeon 530. Why it is called [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]?
Question 2: What driver shout I use - amdgpu or amdgpu-pro? Radeon 530 is not in list of supported cards, but it is newer than some of supported (released march or april 2017). I tryed to install this amdgpu-pro, but mint 19 is not supported - "OS not supported" in terminal.
Provides support for the following distributions:
Ubuntu 18.04.1
Ubuntu 16.04.5
RHEL 7.5
RHEL 6.10
CentOS 7.5
CentOS 6.10
Qustion 3:

xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x64 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 2 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x3f cap: 0x4, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1 name:Unknown AMD Radeon GPU @ pci:0000:01:00.0
My AMD card is not working, right?

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Question 1: I have AMD radeon 530. Why it is called [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]?
Question 2: What driver shout I use - amdgpu or amdgpu-pro? Radeon 530 is not in list of supported cards,
but it is newer than some of supported (released march or april 2017).
I tried to install this amdgpu-pro, but mint 19 is not supported - "OS not supported" in terminal.
Question 3:
My AMD card is not working, right?
A1: ...because that's what it is: a rebranded model. Ctrl+F, Topaz (2014).

A2: ...if it's not listed, then it's not supported. Considering it's of an older generation, i'd personally be surprised for the opposite.
But granted, i don't really follow the closed-source AMD driver's development much and maybe someone knows better,
i'd also be interested in listening such.

...on a side note: since you indeed did not see it listed as 'Supported' - exactly what gave you the idea of still trying to install it? :)
Wouldn't it be wiser asking first here on a separate thread, than possibly breaking your graphics stack & Linux installation?

A3: ...your inxi report above clearly shows the amdgpu driver having loaded. In order to test it, use DRI_PRIME=1 as per above.

Sinfjotli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sinfjotli » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 am

thx-1138 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm
A1: ...because that's what it is: a rebranded model. Ctrl+F, Topaz (2014).

A2: ...if it's not listed, then it's not supported. Considering it's of an older generation, i'd personally be surprised for the opposite.
Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.

I have recently bought my laptop. It had preinstalled Win10, before removing it, I checked hardware in cpu-z, hwinfo and some other programs, and I'm sure my graphic card is AMD radeon 530, which is 3 years newer than mentioned Topaz. I found My card in your link and it comes from Radeon RX 500 Series, which is supported by amdgpu-pro (18-30), but starting from 550's one. So I thought, Radeon serie is the same, so it should work. :lol:

Actually, It makes even more questions :D Why my laptop's graphic card is in list of desktop cards? They should start card's names from 1 and call them in a row, like AMD 1, AMD 2 etc., because this huge amount of names, numbers and series is really confusing...

Now I will check if my card will work properlly in Ubuntu 18.04 with amdgpu-pro to be sure this is correct driver for me.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 am

Sinfjotli wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am
Hello,

I'm trying to make my AMD graphic card working on Linux Mint 19 too ang have similar problem.
My inxi -G

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 3184
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting,ati,amdgpu [b](unloaded: fbdev,vesa)[/b]
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 605 (Geminilake)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5
Question 2: What driver shout I use - amdgpu or amdgpu-pro? ...
As mentioned, it's a rebranded card, and according to this ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMDGPU-Driver

... it's supported by the amdgpu driver.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am

Sinfjotli wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 am
...and I'm sure my graphic card is AMD radeon 530, which is 3 years newer than mentioned Topaz.
... Sinfjotli, not sure how I can make that more clear to you...since you insist on "i bought it in 2017".
Feel free to blame AMD all you want for their naming scheme - indeed, i wouldn't argue at all that it IS confusing.
...5-10 mins of Googling:
https://community.amd.com/thread/224496
https://community.amd.com/thread/224155
& also...
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/l ... generation

So you get that from AMD developers themselves, and not from a random guy in the web :wink:
=========================

...there are indeed some tweaks / tricks / workarounds if you will around the net,
for installing the amdgpu-pro driver on certain cards not mentioned in their list.
Most of the times they just end in...drama & broken systems.
I never resorted to such myself, hence, the reason i said...
"maybe someone knows better, i'd also be interested in listening such."
That is, assuming there was success of course :)

Sinfjotli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sinfjotli » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 am

As mentioned, it's a rebranded card
thx-1138 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am
Sinfjotli, not sure how I can make that more clear to you...since you insist on "i bought it in 2017".
Feel free to blame AMD all you want for their naming scheme - indeed, i wouldn't argue at all that it IS confusing.

So you get that from AMD developers themselves, and not from a random guy in the web :wink:
Thank you both. I solved my problem.

Actually AMD developers themselves don't say it is rebranded.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-530
Product Family: Radeon™ 500 Series
Product Line: Radeon™ 500 Series
Type: Desktop Notebook
Launch Date: 4/18/2017
OS Support:
Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 - 32-Bit Edition
Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
Ubuntu x86 64-Bit
Linux x86_64
This card is really "new", but it is made base on old Topaz line, as I understood. So it is fully compatible with it and work with amdgpu. AMD is a big liar. :lol: To be sure application use discrete card I can run them in terminal with DRI_PRIME=1 or make a shortcut with that key.

To topicstarter:
Mayank6363 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 pm
I recently switched from windows 10 to linux mint 19 and i am really enjoying the linux experience. But recently i checked my system info and it is only showing my integrated intel graphic driver and not my amd graphics. I have also used inxi -Fxz and in front of graphic driver section its showing "(unloaded: fbdev,vesa)". mint official site mentioned that AMD indicated they no longer wanted to support them and urged their customers to use open-source drivers instead and system will use open source drivers which are preinstalled.
So my question is that IS MY SYSTEM REALLY USING MY AMD GRAPHICS OR NOT ? or the only way to use amd graphics is to switch back to windows or any other linux distro (I really don't want to switch back to windows)
There is very simple, but not very hi-tech, way to know, if your system is using your AMD card.
Typing in terminal DRI_PRIME=1 *program name* will start this program with your AMD card. To be sure it works, you can do this:

1. Type in terminal
DRI_PRIME=0 *your browser*
for example
DRI_PRIME=0 firefox
this will start your browser with intergrated card.

2. Go to https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html and check your fps with different fish number.

3. Type in terminal
DRI_PRIME=1 *your browser*
this will start your browser with your AMD card.

4. Go to https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html and check your fps with different fish number again.

if 4 is better than 2, all's good - that means your AMD card is better than your integrated one.
If your AMD card is not working at all - browser will not start.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:09 pm

...you're right - bravo :lol:
"This card is really "new", but it is made base on old Topaz line, as I understood."
Not John, but...Johnny* ;-)

To the OP: ask around & make your research before buying, else...you end up with "new cards" (and no amdgpu-pro drivers)... :wink:

*FYI, one of them is an AMD dev, the other one a Xorg dev...

Return to “Hardware Support”