[SOLVED with Kernel 4.15.0-43] Suspend Issue (Mint 19): hangs when suspending, but ONLY when Intel-GPU is used

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
schroese

[SOLVED with Kernel 4.15.0-43] Suspend Issue (Mint 19): hangs when suspending, but ONLY when Intel-GPU is used

Post by schroese »

Before I post my system, I tell you what I have tried/done before (to avoid quick suggestions without reading the whole post):

1) suspend failed right out of the box (downloaded and installed Mint in July '18):
black screen, keyboard still illuminated, sleep status LED shows "not sleeping"

2) Installed Nvidia binary driver: when switching to Nvidia GPU suspend works perfectly (!!)

3) Updated every Kernel till now, without a change

4) removed nouveau, no change, but now the system shuts down much faster

5) removed legacy intel GPU-driver: no change

I don't know what I could try next.
For me, it would be nice to switch to intel to save power, when I am on the road. When beeing mobile it's crucial to have suspend working ... obviously.

Here's my setup (the relevant part):

Code: Select all

System:    Host: gravelpit Kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire A715-71G v: V1.10 serial: N/A
           Mobo: KBL model: Charmeleon_KLS v: V1.10 serial: N/A
           UEFI: Insyde v: V1.10 date: 08/22/2017
Battery    BAT1: charge: 46.6 Wh 100.0% condition: 46.6/48.9 Wh (95%) volts: 16.9/15.2
           model: COMPAL PABAS0241231 serial: <filter>status: Full
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-7300HQ (-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.9 cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19968
           clock speeds: min/max: 800/3500 MHz 1: 1071 MHz 2: 2805 MHz 3: 2739 MHz 4: 2745 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 591b bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:591b
           Card-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1c8d
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: modesetting
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes
The logoutput before the machine dies when trying to sleep:7

15:02:05 kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)
15:02:05 systemd-sleep: Suspending system...
15:02:05 systemd: Stopped Atop advanced performance monitor.
15:02:04 avahi-daemon: Interface enp3s0f1.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
so, last message is: suspend entry, but that never happens.
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Suspend Issue (Mint 19): hangs when suspending, but ONLY when Intel-GPU is used

Post by Pjotr »

That's typically something that might be fixed by a kernel update or by a BIOS update.

First check the support section of the Acer website for a BIOS update and when available, install it.

When no avail, you might try the 4.18 kernel, by means of the reliable Canonical Kernel Team PPA:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ted-kernel
(item 8, right column)

Reboot after installing it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
schroese

Re: Suspend Issue (Mint 19): hangs when suspending, but ONLY when Intel-GPU is used

Post by schroese »

Well ... well.
Thanks for that link, it is very interesting.
BIOS update was no option, because there is no update.

I pulled in Kernel 4.18 and installed. First error message was due to missing libelf.dev - so installed this, too, and reinstalled 4.18
But this still throws an error which keeps me from activating that Kernel:

/etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms:
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.18.0-8-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.18.0-8-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/390.48/build/make.log for more information.
The error in make.log:

DKMS make.log for nvidia-390.48 for kernel 4.18.0-8-generic (x86_64)
Mi 26. Sep 11:29:42 CEST 2018
make[1]: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-4.18.0-8-generic“ wird betreten
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo >&2;							\
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo >&2 ;							\
/bin/false)
Don't know if this is really a build error.
But I am going to activate and try 4.18 anyway, when I finished my work the next few days (Yes, although I "timeshifted" already before).
schroese

Post by schroese »

So, even the most actual Kernel doesn't fix it - while it runs fine as long you don't close the lid, Nvidia won't compile against it easily (except 4.10, which on the other hand, seems only to support the newest GPUs).

After fiddling around a while, it turns out this is very a common problem with actual Intel-Based-Notebooks using Intel-GPU.
To the time of writing this, there seems only to be one solution: compile the Intel-Drivers against your actual Kernel:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentat ... ld-guide-0

Found here:
https://hobo.house/2018/05/18/fix-for-i ... x-kernels/

I bricked my system three times the last two days, which was mainly due to kids jumping around in the room - and so I forgot to do this and that beforehand. I decided to not playing around any more, reverted everything, and just wait; wait, at least to the point I have only one thing to fiddle: the kernel or the Nvidia driver against the Kernel :)
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You can try this workaround for an Optimus laptop not suspending with the Intel GPU selected. See my second post in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=275967

It involves disabling the nouveau kernel module. It worked on ASUS laptops but you have an ACER.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Some motherboards just simply are not well designed for 'suspend'.

my ASUS TP500L has a statement in the BIOS that if 'suspend' is enabled, that it can cause problems with some software.

huh? the OEM comes right out and makes a statement that their mobo doesn't work everywhere?
so, I left it OFF. and never use suspend, or hibernate.
It will lock up every time, if hibernate is allowed to take effect.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
schroese

Post by schroese »

Thanks roblm for your reply, I read a bit about bbswitch and was scared because of this note on their github page:
On some machines, turning off the card is permanent and the card does not reappear on subsequents reboots, which can result into the screen staying black all the time, including the BIOS screen ... etc ... Before executing bbswitch for the first time, it is therefore recommended to take note of the full key sequence in the BIOS to do a reset.
I gave up and will sit out that situation till a clean solution will appear (since I am still one of the luckers who is able to suspend at all).

@AZgl1500
shutting down would be an idea if there was a good chance of a complete GUI session restore.

I will leave this post open, in case a wonder happens I'll report
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

schroese wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am Thanks roblm for your reply, I read a bit about bbswitch and was scared because of this note on their github page:
On some machines, turning off the card is permanent and the card does not reappear on subsequents reboots, which can result into the screen staying black all the time, including the BIOS screen ... etc ... Before executing bbswitch for the first time, it is therefore recommended to take note of the full key sequence in the BIOS to do a reset.
That info comes from this web page and if you read further, then the final solution is to reset the BIOS to the default factory settings, which simply involves moving a jumper connecting two pins on the motherboard:
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch

That's a very infrequent occurrence and I've never read about it happening to any user with an Optimus system. However, installing bbswitch was related to turning off the Nvidia card to extend battery life. You only need to use this command to disable the nouveau kernel module:

sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.koxxx

You previously removed the nouveau driver in the package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, but that did not remove the nouveau kernel module which was built during the Mint installation. If there is a problem after using that command, then use this command to reverse the action:

sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.koxxx /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko
If you can't get to the desktop, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1 and use the command and reboot.
schroese

Re: [SOLVED with Kernel 4.15.0-43] Suspend Issue (Mint 19): hangs when suspending, but ONLY when Intel-GPU is used

Post by schroese »

Solved with one of the last Kernels of Mint, see topic

Return to “Hardware Support”