Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Three questions about an external hard disk drive

Post by Punchy71 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm

I have an extra external USB 500GB hard disk drive that I'm not currently using that I've had for a number of years now. I have three questions about it.

1) I'm wondering if this thing is just a regular, standard, conventional hard disk drive with a spinning platter or a solid state drive? It is a Toshiba Canvio Slim II 500GB Portable External Hard Drive, DTD205, (HDTD205XK3D1).

2) Is there a way I can load Linux Mint onto it and have it so that I can plug it into the USB port on my desktop tower PC use it instead of the HDD inside my desktop PC?

3) If I were to buy one of the new solid state drives that are now available these days, could I do #2 with it too?

Thanks

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Three questions about an external hard disk drive

Post by catweazel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:02 am

Punchy71 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm
I have an extra external USB 500GB hard disk drive that I'm not currently using that I've had for a number of years now. I have three questions about it.

1) I'm wondering if this thing is just a regular, standard, conventional hard disk drive with a spinning platter or a solid state drive? It is a Toshiba Canvio Slim II 500GB Portable External Hard Drive, DTD205, (HDTD205XK3D1).

2) Is there a way I can load Linux Mint onto it and have it so that I can plug it into the USB port on my desktop tower PC use it instead of the HDD inside my desktop PC?

3) If I were to buy one of the new solid state drives that are now available these days, could I do #2 with it too?

Thanks
1) Google says it's a 2.5" mechanical HDD.
2) Yes, just install to it.
3) Yes.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Return to “Hardware Support”