Laptop not reading external HDD

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Laptop not reading external HDD

Post by whois1230 »

Hello, I reinstalled my OS to encrypt it and it worked. I now have Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit installed and it's encrypted, and my Home folder is encrypted as well. I had successfully restored my backup, but can't restore my timeshift snapshot(I tried several times and even opened both folders with root), as it says: "Error while copying, there is no such file or directory". The backup and the timeshift snapshots are in the external HDD and the Mint laptop used to read it, but it doesn't read it anymore. My other laptop, which has Windows 10 installed, can read the external HDD. How can I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Laptop not reading external HDD

Post by Laurent85 »

Did you run a filesystem check ? Open gparted, right click the partition > Check
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whois1230 »

Laurent85 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:19 am Did you run a filesystem check ? Open gparted, right click the partition > Check
I checked it out on the Windows Laptop, it's NTFS.
addysmith97

Post by addysmith97 »

Hello Friend, Try to open the Disk Management tool. To do so, press Windows Key + R, type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog, and press Enter. You should see your external drive listed in the Disk Management window. And Sometime heavy-duty removable hard drives may even have to be plugged in with a separate power cable before they'll work.
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whois1230 »

addysmith97 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:17 am Hello Friend, Try to open the Disk Management tool. To do so, press Windows Key + R, type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog, and press Enter. You should see your external drive listed in the Disk Management window. And Sometime heavy-duty removable hard drives may even have to be plugged in with a separate power cable before they'll work.
I tried this command and it opens a dialog on my desktop to search through the folders and files. When I write diskmgmt.msc into the field, nothing happens.

Return to “Hardware Support”