Is Dell XPS 15 good for Linux Mint?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tom12

Is Dell XPS 15 good for Linux Mint?

Post by tom12 »

I'm planning to buy a new laptop and preferentially Dell XPS 15 for Linux Mint. So is it good for it? Someone suggested it to me as I'm not aware of any of the features and functionality of laptops. Can anyone help me with choosing the laptop and review the Dell XPS 15. If you have some better option please share. Thanking in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is Dell XPS 15 good for Linux Mint?

Post by catweazel »

tom12 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 am I'm planning to buy a new laptop and preferentially Dell XPS 15 for Linux Mint. So is it good for it? Someone suggested it to me as I'm not aware of any of the features and functionality of laptops. Can anyone help me with choosing the laptop and review the Dell XPS 15. If you have some better option please share. Thanking in advance.
It should run fine, though may have to upgrade to a more recent kernel if you go with Mint 19.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

tom12 wrote:.
https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode)
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... t/19659260
addysmith97

Post by addysmith97 »

Dell XPS 15 is a good laptop and will work brilliantly for Linux Mint. It has 8the gen Intel core processor with 16GB RAM. It comes with NVIDIA GeForce graphics and good storage. In this price range, the Dell XPS 15 is the best. You can have the better idea about the laptop here
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... 560-laptop
https://theconsumerbasket.com/dell-xps-15-review/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ch.800703/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Arch Linux folks have a page on compatibility: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560. Nothing very bad. Suspend is buggy but that holds for most laptops, you'll have to dig around with graphics configuration a bit if you take the model with two graphics cards but that holds the same for any dual graphics cards system and lastly the fingerprint reader doesn't work. Sounds like you should be able to get everything else working on Linux.

Why are you considering the XPS 15 specifically? Asking because you can get the XPS 13 with Linux, so you avoid the Microsoft tax (about $100). Several on the Linux Mint team have a current or previous generation XPS 13. If you're set on 15" you might consider the Precision 3530 which is a bit cheaper but 15" or the Precision 5530 as that uses the XPS 15 body but will run a bit more because it's using workstation class hardware instead. Both of these you can also get with Linux (avoiding the $100 Microsoft tax). They ship them currently with Ubuntu 16.04 but you can just replace that with Linux Mint.
tom12

Post by tom12 »

Thanks xenopeek for the suggestion. I'm comfortable with 13" as all I want is a good laptop. So what are your final words Dell XPS 13 or Precision 5530?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Personally I'd go for the XPS 13 as that would meet my needs. The Precision 5530 is about $ 800 more expensive for similar configuration (FullHD screen, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD with lowest CPU option selected). Mind that both of these come with Intel graphics.

The XPS 13 comes with a 4 core CPU with hyperthreading running at 1.8 GHz and turbo of 4 GHz. It's a beast of a processor compared to previous models as those came with 2 core CPUs. The lowest option CPU for the Precision 5530 is comparable but about 10% faster. The Precision 5530 has options all the way up to a 6 core CPU with hyperthreading running at 2.9 GHz with turbo of 4.8 GHz for an additional $ 350. With that it's about 50% faster than the XPS 13 but for thrice the TDP so it will likely run much hotter under load. It would really be more than I'd need from a laptop.

The new XPS 13 in fact ships with Ubuntu 18.04 so even better guarantee it will work well with Linux Mint 19 (as that is based on Ubuntu 18.04). Though the Precision 5530 should work fine as well.

Comes down to how much raw CPU power do you need in the laptop, do you need a discrete graphics card (instead of the Intel graphics), what size screen works for you and what's your budget.

Here in Europe there is a LUCKY120 discount code active for next few days to save additional € 120 on the XPS 13. Swings it even more in favor of the XPS 13 for me as it meets all my needs. It's up to what you need it for.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I recall reading somewhere that the latest XPS models don't have a Matte screen option, (at least the 1920x1080 models) if that makes a difference.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm picky about screens and prefer matte over glare for same reason. The XPS 13 9370 (current generation with Intel 8th generation CPU) definitely doesn't have a grainy anti-glare coating but with it's high brightness I've only been bothered by reflections with it turned off. I've not used it outdoors. I've not used it for watching movies or heavy terminal use so I can't say, but it's probably likely, that you can notice some reflections when large parts of the screen are dark.

Return to “Hardware Support”