[SOLVED] Deactivate touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djc

[SOLVED] Deactivate touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in?

Post by djc »

Question for a friend, which I couldn't answer: "On my Windows system, when a mouse was plugged in the touchpad was automatically deactivated. [Maybe some setting he doesn't remember.] How can I accomplish that on Linux Mint 19 MATE?"

As a matter of fact, I'd like to know for myself too!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
byteme2

Re: Deactivate touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in?

Post by byteme2 »

While there are a few ways to do it, each one has mixed results. One easy one to try is to use the command:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad send-events disabled-on-external-mouse
If you want to check what these settings currently are set to, run the command:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad send-events
For some people this one works great, personally I didn't have much success with it. I don't know if that is because I use a Bluetooth mouse or if it is something else. If it doesn't work for you then you can always just set it back to what it was when you started (probably enabled, in which case just replace disabled-on-external-mouse with enabled in the first command and try another method). One method a lot of people use and I found successful was using the touch-pad indicator tool. To get it, run these commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
sudo apt update
sudo apt install touchpad-indicator
It will create a little applet icon in your panel that looks like a touchpad. Click that, select preferences, and then under the Actions tab you should see an option to disable touchpad when the mouse is plugged in. This method works pretty well for me. If you can't find the icon, just run touchpad-indicator in the terminal to start the program.
I always like to avoid solutions that involve the use of a ppa when I can, but in this case I haven't seen any negative consequences from it (yet). Use whichever solution works for you, I would say. You can also find more information here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/787433/ ... 434#787434.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think that this solution is for other desktops ^. On MATE, gsettings is called mateconf.

Also, the schemes that come with MATE start with 'org.mate' instead of 'org.gnome'. A quick DuckDuckGo search seems to indicate, that mateconf has a scheme called org.mate.desktop.peripherals.touchpad. However, it does not have a send-events key. Which seems to indicate that the option is not available on MATE, sadly...
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
byteme2

Post by byteme2 »

Sorry, I misread the original post. That's my fault for reading through the forums past midnight... I think some people have had success with the touchpad-indicator app. It wasn't specifically designed for MATE, but it looks like others have found success there regardless. Unfortunately I haven't used MATE and so don't know for myself (which is why I generally don't respond to posts where I don't have knowledge in that area, sorry again for that).
djc

Re: [SOLVED] Deactivate touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in?

Post by djc »

Thanks for the help. Mission apparently accomplished, with touchpad-indicator. It's a tiny bit obscure, but seems to do the trick.
lollyjay

Re: [SOLVED] Deactivate touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in?

Post by lollyjay »

Thanks so much for this info.

Return to “Hardware Support”