Mic issues with Asus Xonar DX sound card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeff37922

Mic issues with Asus Xonar DX sound card

Post by jeff37922 »

I just purchased an Asus Xonar DX sound card after being convinced that it has full Linux support and good sound quality. Well, the sound is great when listening to music, watching videos, etc. But performance is terrible when trying to record voice with a microphone. If I plug a mic into the mic-in jack, the audio level is extremely low and noisy, and only records in one channel (left). When i try to boost the mic by 20dB, it creates a LOT of background noise which is totally unacceptable.

Has anyone successfully gotten one of these cards to actually work in Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TNovember

Re: Mic issues with Asus Xonar DX sound card

Post by TNovember »

I used to have an Asus Essence XT, and if your DX is similar in principle to the ST, then my experience might be of use.
My ST worked well in Linux Mint 17.3.

The input is a dual purpose line-in and mic socket, taking a small jack plug.
I used this very successsfuly as a line input, to archive old tape recordings and some vinyl. As a mic input, I had similar problems to those which you describe, using an old lapel mic.
I would conclude that the output from the mic wasn't high enough.

I would suggest that you connect a suitable line-level output, such as a tape player or radio, and record from that. If that works ok, then maybe the mic doesn't have a high enough output.Then you'd need a mic with a higher output, or some sort of mic pre-amp.

My old mic had a mono jack plug, and these often seem to give only a single-channel output (possibly only left channel), as if the input only connects with one channel. So if you upgrade your mic, check the jack connector, or make sure it will connect with both channels of the input.

Hope this helps.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mic issues with Asus Xonar DX sound card

Post by MrEen »

Hi jeff37922.

See if my suggestion here is of any help: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=275362&p=1511007&h ... g#p1511007

Return to “Hardware Support”