How to acticate usage of proprietary drivers after installation

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FranticShifter

How to acticate usage of proprietary drivers after installation

Post by FranticShifter »

Hi,

I got following problem/question:

During the installation routine of linux mint 19 xfce I denied proprietary drivers to be installed (because I installed while having no internet connection). Now, when I want to update drivers via the driver manager, it says "there a no proprietary drivers to be used" ( the translation is from german, it's not in the exact english words, it should mean that "that proprietary drivers are denied to use", shown in my german linux mint version is "Es werden keine proprietären Treiber verwendet.").

I think this is because of I denied proprietary drivers to be used during installation. Now I want the driver manager to be able to check for and install proprietary drivers. How can I change the settings to be allowed to do so for my system? I thought this to be a easy or standard option and no problem, but I didnt manage to find a solution via screening forums or help pages...

greetingz and thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to acticate usage of proprietary drivers after installation

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't think installing without a net connection has anything to do with this ... I've usually installed like that because if I lose the connection while installing it could bork the whole install. Could be wrong but that's how I've done it. And it doesn't prevent access to Driver Manager.

It could be that there are no proprietary drivers available, which is quite normal with Intel video cards. But it's hard to tell because you haven't included any system details at all. Copy/paste this to the termiinal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
FranticShifter

Re: How to acticate usage of proprietary drivers after installation

Post by FranticShifter »

I had to reinstall my system for another problem and now marked to allow proprietary drivers via installing. If someone knows an exact easy answer, I wonder why this is not just included as a option button in the driver manager to allow or deny it...he or she could still answer!!!

But I'm okay now, don't have the problem no more!

Return to “Hardware Support”