SD memory card from Canon camera not detected

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xwindows

SD memory card from Canon camera not detected

Post by xwindows »

I am running (and currently updating ) Mint to Rosa, I want to open my camera SD memory card, but when I insert it into the slot, nothing happens?. The card works fine in the camera, what must I do to get Mint to (a) detect it and (b) open it?. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Telyx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SD memory card from Canon camera not detected

Post by Telyx »

How old is your computer and how big is the card's capacity? Some older built-in readers can't handle anything more than 2GB.
Can you connect your camera to the computer via USB cable and have the computer see it? Usually, after connecting the cable to both devices you press the "review" button on the camera, and it appears as a removable drive on the computer.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

even after updating your Mint to Rosa - - that may still be too old an LinuxMint version,
- you may need to upgrade to Serena OR Tara - instead.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

It's almost always better to use an external card reader than to use either the camera or built-in card readers.

I've found that a good (and usually cheap) USB card reader will run circles around (that is, read/write much faster than) either the camera or a built-in.

The one I'm currently using and have had zero problems with can be found here.

ETA: Oh, and these things are operating system agnostic - they work with anything that understands USB 2.0 or better.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

xwindows wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm I am running (and currently updating ) Mint to Rosa, I want to open my camera SD memory card, but when I insert it into the slot, nothing happens?. The card works fine in the camera, what must I do to get Mint to (a) detect it and (b) open it?. Thank you in advance.
Can you post the result of the following command from Terminal? Please paste the result in between code tags. [code][/code]

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
I had Rosa and had no problem reading my 32 GB cards, so I don't think that your Mint version is too old.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

xwindows wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pmThe card works fine in the camera, what must I do to get Mint to (a) detect it and (b) open it?. Thank you in advance.
I connect my Canon camera (S2IS, SX50) directly to the computer and it shows up under "Devices" in the file-browser (thunar). Click on the name, file system opens in browser, then navigate down a level or so and copy the images.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Mint Tara here works fine with the card from my EOS1000D. It just appears as another device. Assuming that you have been able to save the piccies off the card, try and format the card in the camera again, and then see if it is recognised. Rosa may be too old, but a reformat of the card might solve your problem.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
xwindows

Post by xwindows »

WoW!, thanks everyone, so many ideas to try. I will use what you have all suggested and work it out. I am currently updating my Mint to the latest version as suggested, I will also buy the card reader as another suggested, I seem to have a collection of old laptops with Linux running on them Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

I'm not sure if you got this sorted, but I'm trying to solve a similar problem here. This is a new laptop with inbuilt SD card reader that works fine in Win10 but not in Mint19. Following the advice here, I left the SD card in the slot, and then ran inxi -Fxz and the card was immediately recognized and a file window opened for it. Sadly, I can't seem to reproduce this again, so I'm still experimenting. This is not to hijack your thread (I'll raise my own with more facts) but an indication of something that might work for you.
If you did solve the problem, please mark your thread [SOLVED]. Thanks.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

OK, not reproducible I said?
Well . . . When I first ran inxi, the laptop beeped and the file viewer opened to see the contents of the SD card. Subsequently, nothing seems to happen when I insert the card, or if I again run inxi in a terminal. However: It now instantly mounts the card, and If I open the 'Places' menu item, or the 'Files' launcher, the SD card is there under 'My Computer' : Devices : 2GB Volume. (It just happens to be a 2GB card). I just didn't know to look for it, expecting a beep like you get when inserting a USB device.
Worth a try for you? If you haven't yet sorted it out.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Hardware Support”