[SOLVED] Asus FX504 touchpad not supported, any bored developers here?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxpaxmaster

[SOLVED] Asus FX504 touchpad not supported, any bored developers here?

Post by maxpaxmaster »

About the Asus FX504GD.

I have this laptop, bought to use exclusively with linux, didn't even boot the win10 that it came with. Mint is working flawlessly apart from the touchpad not working and laggy film-playback in nvidia-mode, but it's still fast enough for me in intel-mode. I don't play games so don't really care about that.

Obviously the trackpad is not supported currently (do not show up in /proc/bus/input/devices), just wondering here if anyone with skills and insight into the process (i'm a user, not a programmer) who are interested in information from my system? I can supply outputs from commands requested, would be awsome to get the trackpad working with this computer.

/Max
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Asus FX504 touchpad not supported, any bored developers here?

Post by catweazel »

maxpaxmaster wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:58 pm the touchpad not working and laggy
In a terminal:
sudo apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
maxpaxmaster

Post by maxpaxmaster »

catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:50 pm
maxpaxmaster wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:58 pm the touchpad not working and laggy
In a terminal:
sudo apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
no, no, like this:
maxpaxmaster wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:58 pm the touchpad not working
and:
maxpaxmaster wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:58 pm trackpad is not supported currently (do not show up in /proc/bus/input/devices)
reinstalling synaptics did nothing, obviously, but thanks anyway.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

maxpaxmaster wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:14 pm...............................................
...i'd start by trying out the latest 4.19.x mainline kernel. Read here as well:
seems that at least one fella got it working, but only after manually patching & re-building the kernel...
maxpaxmaster

Post by maxpaxmaster »

Thank you very much @thx-1138. This solved it, to a degree

I installed the 4.19.0-041900rc8 version using this guide:

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-and-Upg ... Linux-Mint

With the exception that I installed the modules package before actually installing the headers and image packages, otherwise there would be dependency errors.

The trackpad: both buttons, tap to click, two-finger scrolling, edge scrolling, two-finger-right-click all works fine.
The only problem i have found is that it disconnects now and then, becoming unresponsive. It is solved by:

Code: Select all

sudo rmmod hid-multitouch
sudo modprobe hid-multitouch
This I hope will be resolved in future kernels, I will keep updating to the newest.

Again, thanks a bunch for this, I do hope this will help others as well who have bought this computer and look for a way to get the trackpad working.

/Max
gm10

Post by gm10 »

maxpaxmaster wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 am I installed the 4.19.0-041900rc8 version using this guide:

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-and-Upg ... Linux-Mint

With the exception that I installed the modules package before actually installing the headers and image packages, otherwise there would be dependency errors.
As a side note, that is the weirdest guide I have ever seen, more than half the instructions there are superfluous. There's also a graphical tool to automate everything for you if you want: https://github.com/teejee2008/ukuu

Ubuntu will probably end up backporting the fixes into their 4.15 and 4.18 series though, anyway, they also did that with previous touchpad fixes in mainline 4.17 and 4.18. The latest 4.15.0-38 in bionic-proposed even contains some which helped with my Asus touchpad (Asus touchpads are notoriously incompatible, it's an issue with the Asus firmware/UEFI).

Return to “Hardware Support”