Any Displayport 1.2 MST Hubs Known to Work With Linux/Mint?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Any Displayport 1.2 MST Hubs Known to Work With Linux/Mint?

Post by mattlach »

Hey all,

Essentially what I write in title.

I have one full sized DisplayPort 1.2 port on an AMD Ryzen 2400G based APU. I know it fully supports MST hubs under Windows, but I understand Linux can be pickier in this regard.

I experienced this first hand using a Startech dual port DP to DP MST hub, and some passive DP to DVI adapters. It looked like it would work, with the monitors being detected, but they were unable to display any image, with out of range errors.

I'm looking to connect three monitors to this one port, one 2560x1440 HDMI screen, and two older 1280x1024 DVI screens.

By what I'm gathering, part of my problem the first time around is that I used passive DP to DVI adapters, rather than active ones.

Maybe I could even use something like this, which is designed to take one DP port and turn it into three HDMI ports. It would stand to reason it is designed to overcome the passive adapter issue. Then since HDMI and DVI are essentially the same standard (with a different connector) I could use passive HDMI to DVI adapters from there.

Has anyone done this under Linux? What hardware did you use?

Much obliged,
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Any Displayport 1.2 MST Hubs Known to Work With Linux/Mint?

Post by AlbertP »

MST typically works fine on Linux - depending on the GPU in your computer. I have an Intel GPU in my ThinkPad laptop and a ThinkPad USB-C Dock, which includes an MST hub. I have not connected a second monitor to it yet, but I know other people have done that with the same dock & GPU and that worked fine. At least, my computer detects two ports on the hub when I run 'xrandr -q'.

My monitor (Philips 240S1SB) uses a passive adapter to DVI as well, which is no problem. If the problem is not with your graphics driver, then it is possible that your computer or your MST hub is incompatible with DVI signals on the DP port. This is because it is not compulsory for DP devices to be compatible with DVI. In practice many of them are though. There is a logo for devices that are backwards compatible with HDMI and DVI: it is the "DP++" logo with two plus signs to the left of the DP logo.

To find out whether it's your GPU or the hub, please run the following commands while the monitors are connected (if possible) and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
xrandr -q
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Hardware Support”