Will mint run with 2 Xeon processors

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Will mint run with 2 Xeon processors

Post by lsemmens »

I was looking at a local auction house for a replacement laptop and noticed that they are offering some servers with twin Xeon E5620 Quad Core processors and 24Gb Ram. I'm half considering purchasing one as my media server. Could I use it as a normal PC? Any tricks/traps for the unwary user?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Will mint run with 2 Xeon processors

Post by silvatech »

Kernel definitely has the drivers to run those processors. While my servers are under centos. Where can get into issues with it even in windows is on any video you may need. As well most time those servers are designed for running servers and not anything to do with displaying much at all.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 pm I was looking at a local auction house for a replacement laptop and noticed that they are offering some servers with twin Xeon E5620 Quad Core processors and 24Gb Ram. I'm half considering purchasing one as my media server. Could I use it as a normal PC? Any tricks/traps for the unwary user?
It will run sweetly and it will be very, very fast. You may need to drive some Ramset "TruBolt Xtrem" seismic-certified, torque-controlled expansion anchors into 2 foot thick concrete and chain it down.

Beware of the form factor. If they're rack-mountable then you might not be able to get connectors to hook the thing up.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks folks, sounds promising. Because I have NO experience with anything other than laptops and desktops is the motherboard usually capable of handling normal expansion cards. i.e. Video cards or other expansion cards?? Obviously I cannot be more specific until I actually bid on one. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth my effort, They are not rack mount so that may be a plus.
Fully mint Household
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:58 am Thanks folks, sounds promising. Because I have NO experience with anything other than laptops and desktops is the motherboard usually capable of handling normal expansion cards. i.e. Video cards or other expansion cards?? Obviously I cannot be more specific until I actually bid on one. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth my effort, They are not rack mount so that may be a plus.
If it's a tower then it should be fine. A rack mount might be a waste of money.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 pm I was looking at a local auction house for a replacement laptop and noticed that they are offering some servers with twin Xeon E5620 Quad Core processors and 24Gb Ram. I'm half considering purchasing one as my media server. Could I use it as a normal PC? Any tricks/traps for the unwary user?
Yes. It should be fine. These $10,000 machines come off lease and are sold at super bargain prices.

I have a HP z620 that runs any distro that I have run across.

I have tried Arch, Windows, Mint, Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo, Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD, etc... I have had No glitches that are not apparent in other hardware. Some distros are funky/buggy no mater what machine they are installed on.

having multiple disk bays, tool-less, is a huge advantage.
The only drawback is power consumption, and the heat it creates... so it gets suspended when not in use.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks, if they go for a song, I'll be the one singing! I hope.
Fully mint Household
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I had one of these workstations.

The shock was actually seeing it in person after unpacking---huge.
Even after reading the specs the dimensions didn't really sink in.
Also somewhat noisy.
Mine also had 24gb ram (6x4). It ran Quiana (at the time) very well.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I inherited an old dell Precision 490 workstation with two Xeon processors and and all Linux derivatives worked just fine :wink:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

WharfRat wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:59 pm I inherited an old dell Precision 490 workstation with two Xeon processors and and all Linux derivatives worked just fine :wink:
I couldn't remember the model number untill you mentioned it--but yes--I had a 490 as well.
I have single Xeon workstations performing equally well when using as a PC.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Hardware Support”