[SOLVED] MicroSD Formatting Options

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgringo619

[SOLVED] MicroSD Formatting Options

Post by ajgringo619 »

I just received a MicroSD XC 256GB card I was planning on using with my phone. It turns out that's it's too big, so I figured I'd use it with my Mint 19 system as another backup device. It came formatted with FAT32, which doesn't work with the large image files I plan on storing there.

What I thought would be a simple job (format the device as EXT4) has become a royal PITA. I've tried at least 4 different filesystems, and the only one that works is FAT32. EXT4 and BTRFS both hung until I force-killed the processes; NTFS completed but the filesystem was corrupted and wouldn't mount; FAT32 completed as expected.

I haven't found anything that says I can't format this device the way I want, but it's just not working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: MicroSD Formatting Options

Post by JerryF »

Have you tried using Gparted to create the new formatted disk?

If you're going to use it as storage only for Mint, I'd format it as EXT2. It doesn't use journaling, so it won't write as often to the card.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

JerryF wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:04 pm Have you tried using Gparted to create the new formatted disk?

If you're going to use it as storage only for Mint, I'd format it as EXT2. It doesn't use journaling, so it won't write as often to the card.
gparted crashed as hard as gnome-disks and fdisk/mkfs.ext4. I will give EXT2 a try tomorrow.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It is a branded card or a generic 'low-cost' one? If the latter it might be a dud.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

smurphos wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:15 am It is a branded card or a generic 'low-cost' one? If the latter it might be a dud.
It's dead. I just tried to copy a bunch of ISO images to it and it completely hung after the 1st file was complete. You get what you pay for, right?

Return to “Hardware Support”