[SOLVED] Buy AMD Ryzen 2200G for Linux Mint - yes or no?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zsb2002

[SOLVED] Buy AMD Ryzen 2200G for Linux Mint - yes or no?

Post by zsb2002 »

Hi,

can i buy an Ryzen 2200G with Asrock B450M Pro4 or MSI B450M Mortar for Linux mint? :?:

In some forums it can be read that the system runs stable with a newer kernel. But you also read about various problems. Does anyone have first-hand experience of Ryzen and Linux Mint? The question is: buy or not? I can not recognize a cheap alternative from Intel, right?

CU, Chris :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marlenejo

Re: Buy AMD Ryzen 2200G for Linux Mint - yes or no?

Post by marlenejo »

From my personal experience, Mint installation ISO come with kernel 4.15 which doesn't work with that chip. Like I post previously, I use the Manjaro 18 testing ISO which by default come with 4.19. It's all good. I am sure Mint will catch up.
fungus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fungus »

Kernel 4.19 is in mainline Ubuntu and should therefore also be available for Mint. Dunno if installation prior to kernel upgrade is problematic for Mint, though. Most issues with Raven Ridge should have been solved in 4.19.
Linux Mint 17.3 64bit KDE @ Asus B150M-A, i3 6100, Crucial 16GB DDR4, Crucial BX100
One bit says: YES, the other answers: NO.. Guess who's he and who's she..! ;)
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

Not only that by the chip also require the latest mesa libraries for full support. I've seen posts about the difficulties of installing those on MInt.

Not that I am saying that Manjaro is better them MInt but it is a rolling distro more cutting edge which come with its benefits and issues. :mrgreen:
zsb2002

Post by zsb2002 »

I ordered a Ryzen 2200G with Asrock B450M Pro4 today.... :D
maybe i will ask for help again. Thanks for the hints so far.

CU, Chris
fungus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fungus »

If one would like to remain in the Debian sphere then Ubuntu 18.10 could be an alternative to Manjaro. Not that Manjaro is bad, it's just so buggy at times and this may put ppl off. To be honest, I'm not sure if there is a Minty alternative to the non LTS releases from Ubuntu, someone else may know? But as long as one get kernel >=4.19 and Mesa >=18.2, Raven Ridge should work just fine! :)
Linux Mint 17.3 64bit KDE @ Asus B150M-A, i3 6100, Crucial 16GB DDR4, Crucial BX100
One bit says: YES, the other answers: NO.. Guess who's he and who's she..! ;)
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

fungus wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:01 am If one would like to remain in the Debian sphere then Ubuntu 18.10 could be an alternative to Manjaro. Not that Manjaro is bad, it's just so buggy at times and this may put ppl off. To be honest, I'm not sure if there is a Minty alternative to the non LTS releases from Ubuntu, someone else may know? But as long as one get kernel >=4.19 and Mesa >=18.2, Raven Ridge should work just fine! :)
Yes I wish that Ubuntu were moving faster but still even Ubuntu 18.10 is stuck by default to Kernel 4.18 and mesa 18.2.2. It's probably possible to install it with that and upgrade after (?). May be someone can give it a shot (may be better on a Ubuntu forum) and let us know even if Mint is a non-starter for now.

By the way Manjaro 18 has been release yesterday. It should be the best bet for that chip (as far as I know). It work great on my friend rig, that I have install. Yes Manjaro requires a bit more work sometimes then Mint. That's the price to pay for living on the edge.
zsb2002

Post by zsb2002 »

New system installed last weekend. Had to fight with UEFI / Dualboot with Win10 ...

- Installation worked
- I immediately changed to kernel 4.19
- So far, Mint runs stable for about 3 days without any problems
- There are some error messages when booting...any hints for me?

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\ _SB.SMIC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810 / dswload2-316)
ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup / catalog (20180810 / psobject-221)
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\ _SB.SMIB], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810 / dsfield-626)
AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter.
kvm: disabled by bios

Conclusion so far: Runs so far :D
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

zsb2002 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 pm New system installed last weekend. Had to fight with UEFI / Dualboot with Win10 ...

- Installation worked
- I immediately changed to kernel 4.19
- So far, Mint runs stable for about 3 days without any problems
- There are some error messages when booting...any hints for me?

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\ _SB.SMIC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810 / dswload2-316)
ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup / catalog (20180810 / psobject-221)
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\ _SB.SMIB], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180810 / dsfield-626)
AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter.
kvm: disabled by bios

Conclusion so far: Runs so far :D
Can you explain how to change to 4.19? I can get Mint 19 to install by using "compatibility mode" but don't have hardware accel and no sound from HDMI monitor.
Thanks
twd78

Post by twd78 »

For a simplistic attempt, you can use uuku, article explains it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/uku ... nel-ubuntu
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

twd78 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:49 pm For a simplistic attempt, you can use uuku, article explains it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/uku ... nel-ubuntu
Thanks. That appears to have solved all of my issues.

Return to “Hardware Support”