The board will go down for necessary maintenance at 12:00 PM UTC (see current UTC time). We expect to be back 1 hour later at 1:00 PM UTC. Apologies for any inconvenience.

keyboard hard to read

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

keyboard hard to read

Post by oxygenfarm »

I recently obtained an old but nice HP Elitebook 8530p laptop (and installed Mate 19), which seems plenty of machine for my usage, but the lettering on the KYBD is dim: my aged eyesight may be the real problem, but compared to the letters on my desktop KYBD the Elitebook causes me problems. The dimness seems a design decision rather than the result of wear.
Is there any reasonable way to brighten the white characters?

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: keyboard hard to read

Post by srq2625 »

A couple of thoughts:
  1. The first one being .. are you sure you've cleaned the keyboard well. Over time, skin oils can cause white lettering to fade and/or turn a light shade of tan. A little cleaning can, sometimes, set things right.
  2. If the laptop is not to be used in mobile fashion, a USB keyboard can be plugged in and used instead of the embedded keyboard.

oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oxygenfarm »

The keyboard is clean; the machine is in almost-new condition. It is a laptop, obtained to be portable.

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

I'm Sorry I couldn't help more than that. I'm sure someone here has a better idea.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Is it backlit? Are you looking to increase the brightness of the backlight?

This may help --- https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01612362
To adjust the brightness of the backlight, press the key with the backlight icon two or three times in a row. The keyboard backlight dims and brightens. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time to activate the backlight key.
If not post the results of inxi -Fxz as a starting point...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oxygenfarm »

Thank you but the problem is that the white pigment in the characters of the keyboard is very subtle, not bright.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Correction Fluid.... ;-)

Only kidding - I'm sure if you hunt around Ebay / Amazon you might find some sort of sticker set.

E.g - https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-City-Super ... 3FV0K7NZGX
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

sleeper12
Level 11
Level 11

Post by sleeper12 »

You can buy new laptop keyboard stickers &/or a usb light, check amazon or ebay.

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

It's too bad the keys aren't old-school, typewriter style. Those keys were engraved and one could fill the grooves with paint, wipe the key clean, and leave the paint in the grooves - wait for it do dry and be done with it. But modern keyboard keys are almost always smooth so that idea doesn't work here...

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

A new keyboard? Quick search of ebay shows them for under £20 or over £100 with nothing in between. You can also buy individual keys - buy one and see if it is any better than what you've got?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Hardware Support”