Accessing linux hard drive on windows through usb

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scot^2

Accessing linux hard drive on windows through usb

Post by scot^2 »

I was updating Linux Mint 18.3 when the battery died. I have not been able to boot since, so I took out the hard drive and through a usb (sata to usb) connected it to my Windows 10 machine. But in Windows 10 I am not able to access the files on that hard drive although it does list the hard drive as a device.

Before removing the hard drive from the Linux Mint machine I also ran LM 19 live from a usb. While live I was able to access the files on the hard drive, but not long enough to copy them and transfer them elsewhere safely - while copying the machine now shuts off. This is a result, apparently, of the machine dying mid-update.

Ideally I'd like to still access the files on the hard drive to copy some of them. After that I'd like to repair or re-install Linux Mint on it and use the drive again back in that same machine (I've since gotten a new battery).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Accessing linux hard drive on windows through usb

Post by MrEen »

If your Windows 10 computer has enough USB ports, simply boot it up to the Live Mint USB and start acopyin'.
scot^2

Re: Accessing linux hard drive on windows through usb

Post by scot^2 »

Thanks. I was able to copy everything as you stated.

When on my windows machine running from the LM19 live usb and with the hard drive from the linux machine plugged in through usb I reformatted the hard drive. How can I install LM19 on it now? Is it possible to install it before putting it back in the linux machine where it belongs, so I can just boot it up to LM19?

Return to “Hardware Support”