[SOLVED] laptop ctrl key not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] laptop ctrl key not working

Post by edzell »

Inspiron 1525, mint 17:
Installed an aftermarket keyboard when the original started failing. The ctrl-combo functions, like ctrl-a, aren't working. I've explored system prefs without success. The options if suggests for keyboard layout or shortcuts seem either inappropriate or (to me) meaningless. Are there settings I've failed to find or understand? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I now see it's only the left ctrl key (the one I habitually use) that's inert. How can I activate both ctrl keys, or transfer the function from R to L?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: laptop ctrl key not working

Post by deepakdeshp »

Both right and left control keys are functionally the same. You can use either with the same effect. If it's a hardware problem with one keys, you may get it repaired.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Re: laptop ctrl key not working

Post by edzell »

Thanks deepakdeshp and sorry for the long delay in replying - been having miscellaneous computer problems.
The non-functioning left ctrl key is on an aftermarket keyboard recently installed, after the original began disintegrating. This one appears very flimsy and I'll assume it (or my installation) is faulty. Possibly that key was non-functional from the very start. I'll mark the topic solved.

Return to “Hardware Support”