ASUS X540: Fans won't start after hibernation

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sydiorn

ASUS X540: Fans won't start after hibernation

Post by Sydiorn »

Hello,

I have a bit of an issue with my fans, which stop working when my laptop exists from hibernate mode. I have to reboot the computer to make them work properly. To my mind, there is some problem with the soft booting process when the computer exists the ACPI S3 mode. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fix this issue by myself with the help of Internet. If somebody could help me, I would be really thankful! I attached debugging data generated by inxi, sensors and hardinfo. Hope it will give you enough details.

Thank you for your help!
Sydiorn.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sydiorn

Re: ASUS X540: Fans won't start after hibernation

Post by Sydiorn »

Bump. :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Try if this starts the fans after hibernation:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r asus_nb_wmi;sudo modprobe asus_nb_wmi
Sydiorn

Post by Sydiorn »

Hey! Thanks for your reply. I wrote your commands on my terminal. Sadly, nothing has changed: my fans are still off.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Not sure then. Maybe installing the fancontrol package will help. Or check if there's an update for your BIOS that fixes this.
Sydiorn

Post by Sydiorn »

I will install the fancontrol package as you recommanded. As for the BIOS, I already have the last version, which is problematic. :/
gm10

Post by gm10 »

To set it up:

Code: Select all

sudo pwmconfig
No idea if it'll help though.
Sydiorn

Post by Sydiorn »

Hey, I am sincerely sorry for the late reply. I already have pwmconfig installed but I cannot use it since the fans are set on automatic mode. My fan is currently not working, and sensors tell me I have 26.7°C of temperature, although I feel my processor is heating. :?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Sydiorn wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 pm Hey, I am sincerely sorry for the late reply. I already have pwmconfig installed but I cannot use it since the fans are set on automatic mode. My fan is currently not working, and sensors tell me I have 26.7°C of temperature, although I feel my processor is heating. :?
May be the fan is burnt out.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Sydiorn

Post by Sydiorn »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 pm
Sydiorn wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 pm Hey, I am sincerely sorry for the late reply. I already have pwmconfig installed but I cannot use it since the fans are set on automatic mode. My fan is currently not working, and sensors tell me I have 26.7°C of temperature, although I feel my processor is heating. :?
May be the fan is burnt out.
I don't think so. They work well on Windows, and I just need to restart the computer to make them work on Linux. Something is blocking the fans when setting the computer on hibernation.
Sydiorn

Post by Sydiorn »

Bump. :D
Sydiorn

Post by Sydiorn »

Bump.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Sydiorn wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:15 am I just need to restart the computer to make them work on Linux. Something is blocking the fans when setting the computer on hibernation.
My Mint 19 has "Suspend" but no "hibernation". Which version are you using?
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.

Return to “Hardware Support”