Touchpad "Twitchy" in LM 19

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrD.

Touchpad "Twitchy" in LM 19

Post by MrD. »

I have two HP 255 G3 laptops, one running LM 17 and one running LM 18. I recently booted up LM 19 on one of them to test the hardware compatibility and found that the touchpad is very "twitchy" compared to the previous versions.

The older version were using the default acceleration and sensitivity settings, so has something changed with the default curves?

I managed to make the situation a bit better by setting a custom acceleration value, but is was still very "twitchy" when moving slowly. I tried changing the sensitivity, but that didn't have any effect (and seems may just be broken from reading these forums).

Is there anything else I can try, or does anyone have one of these laptops and has got the touchpad feeling like it used to in older versions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Touchpad "Twitchy" in LM 19

Post by thx-1138 »

MrD. wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:55 pm..........................
Is there anything else I can try...
...you could try the older driver, apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, see if such makes a difference.
Log-out & log-in back for the change to take effect (or restart X).
MrD.

Post by MrD. »

That worked perfectly. Thank you!

What driver is being used by default?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

From now on (19.x and later), libinput - the synaptics driver will be retired eventually...
If you have both of them installed at the same time (and haven't manually fiddled with their config files),
then the synaptics will take precedence (as per above)...

Return to “Hardware Support”