DVD Writer is so slow in burning discs

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dalamar

DVD Writer is so slow in burning discs

Post by Dalamar »

I have an LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter. It says on the box that it has 22x DVD Write Speed. But as you can see from the included screenshot, it's less than 1x speed. Also, notice that the progress bar does not seem to function. It took me around 15 mins to burn around 3GB of data. I used Brasero.

I used this drive when I was using Kubuntu 9.04 to burn Linux Mint 7 ISO but did not encounter the same problem.

What can I do to speed up the burning process? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: DVD Writer is so slow in burning discs

Post by markcynt »

Brasero seems to have problems making data discs.

K3b is a much better application. It's in the repos.
Dalamar

Post by Dalamar »

I tried k3b but it hangs. Incidentally, Emerald manager also hangs.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Other apps to try (all in the repos) are gnomebaker, nautilus-cd-burner, and xfburn.

The Emerald problem may be related, maybe not. It might be a good idea to start a thread about that and mention the DVD problem.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Dalamar wrote:I have an LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter. It says on the box that it has 22x DVD Write Speed. But as you can see from the included screenshot, it's less than 1x speed.
I looked at your screenshot, why is it showing as 0% done ?, when do you determine the speed of writing for the device
Dalamar wrote: Also, notice that the progress bar does not seem to function. It took me around 15 mins to burn around 3GB of data. I used Brasero.
Ok, so have you tried a reinstall of brasero, if the progress bar doesn't work, something is incorrect with the application or its install..
--synaptic mint menu>System>Package Manager, is the easiest way to do that..

Which version of Brasero
  • apt show brasero
    State: installed
    Automatically installed: no
    Version: 2.26.1-0ubuntu1
--This is the version that Linux mint 7 -gloria uses..

You can always try something like xfburn (liburnia), it uses a different underlying library than either k3b or Brasero (Wodim)
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfburn
  • hwinfo --cdrom
    21: SCSI 100.0: 10602 CD-ROM (DVD)
    Hardware Class: cdrom
    Model: "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B"
    Vendor: "HL-DT-ST"
    Device: "DVDRAM GSA-4163B"
    Revision: "A102"
hwinfo is a package available in repository..
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... leId=12429
Media speed , quality is good ?

Using Imation cheaper type dvd-R media, Getting 4x speed approx for Sl dvd media, max speed for that type..
Ran at normal max speed for that media..

Screenshot attached Brasero (nautilus right-click>Open with Disk Burner

Return to “Hardware Support”