Don't buy Asrock

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Don't buy Asrock

Post by lewmur »

There was a time when Linux users took it for granted that hardware makers had no interest in giving them support. I think that time has past. But Asrock doesn't!!
I purchased a Ryzen MB and when I couldn't get it to boot any Debian based distro other than in "recovery mode", I contacted their tech support their response was that they didn't have any Linux "drivers". I came to this forum next and found the solution was to install the latest 4.19 kernel. When I tried to inform Asrock of the solution, they responded that they didn't care, that they simply didn't support Linux. Well, if they can't support us, maybe we shouldn't buy their products!! :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Don't buy Asrock

Post by gm10 »

I'm not aware of a single consumer mobo brand that supports Linux.

Personally I'm very happy with the ASRock board in my desktop. Still providing BIOS updates after over 7 years even.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it should be the other way around. linux should be able to support your new hardware. i opened a ticket on my motherboard to have a bios update that supports my cpu, and they just said the motherboard doesn't support it. it was just one line "Your motherboard does not support 1333 MHz FSB" even though i have it running right now but not at it's full potential
i see hacks on motherboard bios but they can't be bothered with a 10 year old product
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

trytip wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:43 pm it should be the other way around. linux should be able to support your new hardware. i opened a ticket on my motherboard to have a bios update that supports my cpu, and they just said the motherboard doesn't support it. it was just one line "Your motherboard does not support 1333 MHz FSB" even though i have it running right now but not at it's full potential
i see hacks on motherboard bios but they can't be bothered with a 10 year old product
Linux does support it. Drivers for hardware are in the kernel. And Linux has support for the Ryzen hardware in the latest kernel. They can't go back and add it to the 4.15 kernel Mint 19 has as its default. And the product I'm talking about is brand new. Not 10yr old outdated hardware. My problem is with the "I can''t be bothered with Linux" attitude of the Asrock tech support. If a 79 yr old retired consultant can find a way to cure the problem with little effort, why couldn't an entire tech support staff do it??
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lewmur wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm If a 79 yr old retired consultant can find a way to cure the problem with little effort, why couldn't an entire tech support staff do it??
The product is being sold only for Win10, so that's what he's being paid to support you with, nothing else. He's got no documentation on Linux. What do you expect him to do, google the Linux solution for you? That's not how call centers work, he might even get into trouble with his supervisor if he tried that.

I can't find fault in this case. Where I do find fault is when Asus sells me a notebook with Linux pre-installed, then a BIOS update breaks compatibility and the support basically tells me to go f myself. So whatever you do with ASRock I don't care as long as you don't buy Asus. :P
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

lewmur wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:57 pmWell, if they can't support us, maybe we shouldn't buy their products!! :x
Good point -- but as far as Asrock is concerned, this is probably already the case.

Their customer base is probably 95% Windows (or more).

Developing and maintaining Linux drivers costs the same or more as Windows drivers. It does not make economic sense to them to double their driver support costs to increase their customer base only 5%, or even 10%.

With hardware manufacturers and Linux drivers, this has, and will continue to be, the problem ...
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

gm10 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:59 pm
lewmur wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm If a 79 yr old retired consultant can find a way to cure the problem with little effort, why couldn't an entire tech support staff do it??
The product is being sold only for Win10, so that's what he's being paid to support you with, nothing else. He's got no documentation on Linux. What do you expect him to do, google the Linux solution for you? That's not how call centers work, he might even get into trouble with his supervisor if he tried that.

I can't find fault in this case. Where I do find fault is when Asus sells me a notebook with Linux pre-installed, then a BIOS update breaks compatibility and the support basically tells me to go f myself. So whatever you do with ASRock I don't care as long as you don't buy Asus. :P
I'm in no way blaming a tech support techy. I'm blaming the COMPANY for its policy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lewmur wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:30 pm]I'm in no way blaming a tech support techy. I'm blaming the COMPANY for its policy.
In that case I'm with you. Other than Intel I don't think any of them make any effort re Linux. Random Intel support forum thread goes like this:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the compatibility between our Intel Core i7 8700K/Z370 chipsets and Linux; it will be more than a pleasure to provide you with guidance on this matter."

Why, thank you! That's what you want to hear (even though his actual response shows his lack of knowledge on the matter, but at least he tried).
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

Mark Phelps wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 pm
lewmur wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:57 pmWell, if they can't support us, maybe we shouldn't buy their products!! :x
Good point -- but as far as Asrock is concerned, this is probably already the case.

Their customer base is probably 95% Windows (or more).

Developing and maintaining Linux drivers costs the same or more as Windows drivers. It does not make economic sense to them to double their driver support costs to increase their customer base only 5%, or even 10%.

With hardware manufacturers and Linux drivers, this has, and will continue to be, the problem ...
As it turns out, there is no need for them to develop drivers. The problem was the Ryzen APU, which was fixed in the 4.19 kernel, and not the MB. My problem with Asrock is that they couldn't even be bothered to find out what it would take for the MB to work. Even AFTER I informed them there was a simple solution.
Btw, Linux may only have a small % of the desktop market, but I think Asrock's sells mainly to the DIY market. I think Linux has a much larger share of that market.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

why not blame linux mint for not having an official 4.19 kernel? i know the responses already, but the fact remains. new hardware needs new kernels and mint will assign blame on ubuntu. where does the blame go? the blame goes to you thinking you can buy the latest hardware and use it in mint.
just did updated in arch linux and kernel 4.19.2 is the standard. not that i need kernel 4.19 with year 2007 hardware but there you are.
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

Neither Mint nor Ubuntu should be installing the latest kernels. There is a lot of testing involved to make sure a new kernel doesn't break existing software. And 4.19 is still only RC status. And I solved MY problem. Asrock's attitude that lowly Linux isn't worth even a little bit of effort, still stinks. :( If they had bothered at all their tech could have responded with "While Asrock doesn't officially support Linux, the problem isn't with our MB but rather the Ryzen APU only having support in the latest RC Linux kernel.". Customers happy and no real expense. Just good business practice.

BTW: I find the attitude that Linux users should only buy outdated hardware, to be one that is promoted by MS. :D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lewmur wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 pm And 4.19 is still only RC status.
4.19 is stable/LTS.
lewmur wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 pm BTW: I find the attitude that Linux users should only buy outdated hardware, to be one that is promoted by MS. :D
It's not an attitude, it's just sound advice. Many manufacturers don't provide Linux drivers of their own, so Linux kernel development relies on community-created, often reverse-engineered drivers, that can only get created after the hardware has already hit the market. Thus you cannot expect an older Linux release to support more recent hardware, it's only luck if that works.
raspu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by raspu »

I use an Asrock motherboard in my desktop computer with an AMD Athlon X4 845 and I have no issues, everything works as a charm.
luth3r

Post by luth3r »

They think it must be a waste of time that's why they don't care pretty sure that MOBO is not selling much that's why they don't put more effort on it and just waiting for the stock to be gone. Also they are more focus on gaming board which probably mean it runs on windows and best for gaming people.
zsb2002

Post by zsb2002 »

No problems with Mint Kernel 4.19 running on Ryzen 2200G and Asrock B450M Pro4.....
MatNieuw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MatNieuw »

My motherboard is an Asrock B450 Pro4, BIOS 1.50 . and it worked fine, eventually. From kernel 4.15.0-39 the GUI worked fine using amdgpu drivers, but had to install kernel 4.19.5 and amdgpu-pro 18.40 before MP4 video acceleration worked fine and OpenCL was present.

See viewtopic.php?f=59&t=281264&p=1558543&h ... G#p1558543 for the story.

I'll be buying a second such motherboard now (uATX version).

Mat
tuxtuxtux

Post by tuxtuxtux »

i think,if your hardware is newest or something "rare" is better to use linux distro that using bleeding edge kernel,like arch, manjaro, gentoo (if you pro) and fedora CMIIW
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

A lot of people with ASUS products (ASRock is an ASUS 'subsidiary') have reported having problems wiht Linus istallations. Someone should cotact them and tell them to SMARTEN UP!

I remember the "Good old days" when if you wanted to build a rock-solid system you would sell them an ASUS Motherboard. Seems those times have passed...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:08 am ASRock is an ASUS 'subsidiary'
Not for a very long time now. ASRock is part of Pegatron Corporation. While the latter was originally founded by Asustek Computers Inc (the ones who do the motherboards), it was spun-off in 2010 and Asustek Computers Inc now only holds 17.16% of Pegatron and is gradually reducing their share further.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

gm10 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:53 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:08 am ASRock is an ASUS 'subsidiary'
Not for a very long time now. ASRock is part of Pegatron Corporation. While the latter was originally founded by Asustek Computers Inc (the ones who do the motherboards), it was spun-off in 2010 and Asustek Computers Inc now only holds 17.16% of Pegatron and is gradually reducing their share further.
Ah. Thanks.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Hardware Support”