Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ZestieBumwhig
Level 1
Level 1

Dell Latitude E7450 fan

Post by ZestieBumwhig » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Hello there
I recently installed Linux Mint 19 (w/ Cinnamon desktop) on a used Dell E7450 laptop. There is a constant whirring, probably a fan on the right side? If I open a bunch of video tabs, another(?) fan will come on (on the left). It stops when it should. But, even sitting idle, the first fan will keep whirring.

I haven't seen any fan settings in BIOS.

Code: Select all

$ sudo pwmconfig
.... (a bunch of stuff).....
There are no working fan sensors, all readings are 0.
Make sure you have a 3-wire fan connected.
I've tried i8kctl (specifically for Dell laptops, I believe). When it's not heating up, I get:

$ i8kctl fan
-1 0
... and when I'm trying to stress it out:

$ i8kctl fan
-1 2
Any ideas? It's a little annoying, but also, I'm afraid it could indicate something worse.
Thank you!

carum carvi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dell Latitude E7450 fan

Post by carum carvi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 am

ZestieBuhmwig, welcome to the LinuxMint forum.

When I switched from Windows to LinuxMInt I was not pleased with the increased noise my fans made when I was watching videos. In Windows I could disable the fans to my likings, unfortunately this is not possible in LinuxMint. In other words, I hope you will get used to the increased noise your fans are making when watching videos, because there is no solution to your problem. Fans are good though for the longevity of my hardware, that's what I tell myself when I get annoyed by the noise the fans make...

ZestieBumwhig
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dell Latitude E7450 fan

Post by ZestieBumwhig » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks for your suggestions, and for the welcome.

I think I've deduced that it's actually the hard drive always making a sound... I took it apart, there was only one fan (which I guess is what i8k was telling me), and I put in an SSD drive. Not that the noise was so bad! But it was a good excuse to upgrade - and, indeed, it's quieter now.

Return to “Hardware Support”