Sound device problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
etech290

Sound device problem

Post by etech290 »

Hey guys and gals
I have a bit of a problem, my sound works but Linux mint (the latest one) either wants to play my sound thru my hdmi of my nvidia gpu or it wants to play the sound thru my headset

Now when I installed mint then everything was fine and also after updating my gpu with the driver the system already had on it
I listened to some music and then also played some dota2 and everything was fine but after plugging in my headset my sound simply didnt want to go back to my speakers and this is after I unplugged my headset , so I restarted the pc and it still didnt wana work , but funny thing is that its playing thru my hdmi to my screen ( its tyny speakers are horrible :'(```` ) ok but if I plug my headset back in then the sound works tru the headset again, so I unplugged the hdmi cable from my 3rd screen and restarted and still nothing :( so how can I fix this , i have tried looking online but I cant find anything reinvent :x

I do have a 3 screen setup but even if I disable the other screens or unplug them then this problem with no sound is still here
I would actually love it if the sound could play thru my speakers and headset at the same time so I dont have to unplug it to get the sound thru my speakers but like I said the sound isnt playing thru them even when I unplug it :(

my System
5.1 surround sound speakers that use speaker 3.5 jacks (3 of them) to plug into the pc at the back
Cpu:Ryzen 1700
Mb: B350M-MORTAR
Ram: 16 gig DDR4
Gpu: Gtx 1060 6gb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Sound device problem

Post by MrEen »

Hi etech290, and welcome to the forum.

I think you can fix the issue by installing and running PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.)

Once open, go to the Configuration tab and set the Profiles as necessary, then check the Output Devices tab when sound is playing if any further adjustments are needed.

If you really want sound through the speakers and headphones at the same time, you can install and run paprefs and check the box on the Simultaneous Output tab.

Hope that helps.
Mike123

Post by Mike123 »

deleted
Last edited by Mike123 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
etech290

Post by etech290 »

MrEen wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:18 am Hi etech290, and welcome to the forum.

I think you can fix the issue by installing and running PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.)

Once open, go to the Configuration tab and set the Profiles as necessary, then check the Output Devices tab when sound is playing if any further adjustments are needed.

If you really want sound through the speakers and headphones at the same time, you can install and run paprefs and check the box on the Simultaneous Output tab.

Hope that helps.
I will give it a try tonight :)

Return to “Hardware Support”