Mint 19 Tara & Realtek RTL8188CE WiFi driver issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vaportrail

Mint 19 Tara & Realtek RTL8188CE WiFi driver issue

Post by vaportrail »

Hi, I just installed Linux Mint 19 Tara MATE 32bit edition on my HP Mini 110 netbook, and for some reason the Realtek WiFi driver is acting up.

First I'll mention OOB the WiFi was connecting fine, but once I decided to update all components with Mint's Update Manager, the WiFi was no longer working. Is there a Realtek driver issue between 19's release and subsequent updates?

Please forgive, I'm a Windows user, and coming to Mint due to a recommendation. I do not understand any Linux processes, so please ELI5 (explain like I'm 5 years old) if possible.

There have been other threads discussing this issue, but none I've found tackling my exact situation. Here's my WiFi card specs:

Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
driver: rtl8192ce port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>

I'd followed the automatic install of this driver: https://github.com/FreedomBen/rtl8188ce-linux-driver

After a reboot, the WiFi connected again. Yet upon a 3rd reboot, the WiFi could not connect, and my assumption is the custom driver I'd installed from FreedomBen is not being loaded upon boot?

I don't think I need to re-install FreedomBen's driver as I imagine it's already in the system, but how do I get it to load over the more recent (and seemingly improper) rtl8192ce driver?

Any help would be mightily appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vaportrail

Re: Mint 19 Tara & Realtek RTL8188CE WiFi driver issue

Post by vaportrail »

Just a quick follow-up, sometimes the WiFi will connect when the computer wakes from standby mode and I enter in my admin password. If it's a reboot or fresh boot, the WiFi does not connect. Perhaps a security issue? Very strange!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Calling JeremyB

Until Jeremy shows up . . . I had the same issue with Realtec RTL8188EE but my driver was rtl8188ee
Here is what I did that fixed it in my case - also secure boot was not a factor in my case - but if you have secure boot it has to be turned off.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=280501

If this doesn't work Jeremy will need you to run some things to analyze your specific situation further.
BLUF : the following solved the issue of RealTec wireless NIC RTL8188EE useing driver rtl8188ee not working on a Lenovo Ideapad 100 with Mint 19, specifically 64bit Cinnamon Mint 19.

Code: Select all

cd Desktop
git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new
sudo dkms install rtlwifi-new/0.6
sudo cp -r rtlwifi_new/firmware/rtlwifi/ /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
echo "options rtl8188ee ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8188ee.conf
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See the wireless script link in my signature and post results
Also post results for dkms status
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

Hi @majpooper. I checked my netbook for secure boot option. It's running "InsydeH20 Setup Utility" for BIOS settings, and secure boot is not an option to switch on/off. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's interesting, the WiFi connects roughly 50% of the time when booting. Feels like a crapshoot.

JeremyB, URL posted below. :)

http://termbin.com/ho6m

Also,

dkms status
did not "do" anything in terminal. Does that mean dkms is not installed?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The next time wireless has an issue at boot, do ./wireless-info
When you get wireless back again do cat wireless-info.txt | nc termbin.com 9999
Post URL in this thread
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:31 pm The next time wireless has an issue at boot, do ./wireless-info
When you get wireless back again do cat wireless-info.txt | nc termbin.com 9999
Post URL in this thread
Will do JeremyB, thanks! I've been trying to get it back to a non-working state through rebooting, but after several attempts the WiFi is holding as it should. As soon as the issue re-appears I'll follow your instructions.

Appreciate your help kind sirs! 8)
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

Hi JeremyB,

Here's the URL you requested:

http://termbin.com/e5ps
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See if doing this helps

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
systemctl restart network-manager.service
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

To properly test, which is the better scenario?

1. Wait until WiFi fails to connect upon reboot. Input code then reboot several times. If all attempts connect, issue may be resolved.
2. Input code now while connected to WiFi. If at some point in the future WiFi stops connecting, reply in this thread for next step.
3. Doesn't matter. It's either going to work or it's not.

Note: Connected to external monitor & power cord often has WiFi connection error. Sometimes to resolve connection error I unplug netbook from everything and reboot to battery. This may or may not be useful info...
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

JeremyB,

I've implemented the code, but I don't see a change in behavior. Sometimes it connects, sometimes not.
VAK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VAK »

I have a similar problem in my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 3537, with core i3, 4GB RAM. My WiFi hardware is also Realtek. I use my mobile to create a WiFi hotspot. I have no internet line connection and router. The laptop WiFi connection seems to work after first connecting. Subsequently it disconnects if it remains idle for some time, although the signal still shows it is present. I have to turn off my WiFi hotspot and wait till the laptop also shows no signal, and then restart the WiFi hotspot. It then works fine. This seems to be a driver bug for sure.
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

I don't know about you VAK, but there's been one constant in my experience with this Realtek WiFi card.

If I boot next to the router WiFi connects. If I boot 10 feet away from the router it doesn't connect. What I've been doing lately is booting next to the router than moving the netbook back to its resting spot 10 feet away, plugging back in peripherals. Then the connection holds until reboot.

Perhaps it has something to do with the WiFi card's range or power setting? I do recall in the custom driver I'd installed, one question during install is if I wanted it to boost the card's signal strength. I said yes. Heck, i don't even know if Mint is honoring my wishes to use the custom driver... :?
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

So many issues with Broadcom & Realtek chipsets, that's why I replace ALL with Intel wifi adapters. Smooth sailing. And a newused Intel wifi adapter on ebay is only around $10.00.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
vaportrail

Post by vaportrail »

Appreciate the sage advice Joe2Shoe. If there's no other troubleshooting steps available I will gladly take up your advice or live with the issue. My sense is no Realtek driver bugfixes for this model will make their way into core at this point.

Return to “Hardware Support”