Mint often freezes when ejecting external hard drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Mint often freezes when ejecting external hard drive

Post by somelurker »

I have a strange problem involving Mint and two of my external hard drives. About half the time, when I eject the drives, Mint freezes up completely and won't respond to mouse or keyboard input. At this point, my only option is to hold the power button and forcefully shut down the computer. I've noticed that the problem only happens with these external hard drives and not with USB flash drives.

What could be causing this strange problem, and how could I go about fixing it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint often freezes when ejecting external hard drive

Post by deepakdeshp »

Till your system problem is solved, for a gentle shut down. http://blog.kember.net/articles/reisub- ... x-restart/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It may be those particular drives. If they're formatted ntfs then don't use Linux repair toools, there are, ahem, typical MS "undocumented features" in the ntfs format spec.

I use Hiren't Boot CD for this sort of thing with ntfs drives, just did it a couple of days ago. See here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/146127/ ... or-windows

And follow the instructions in the 1st answer. The run chkdsk on one of those drives.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by somelurker »

I need to make a correction to my original post. The problem happens every single time I eject the drive; not just half the time.

I don't know what Linux repair tools Hoser Rob is referring to, but the drive was formatted (and has been formatted many times) with GParted. I don't think I had a problem with the drive until about the past few months.

Perhaps a kernel update caused this?

Return to “Hardware Support”