Mint doesn't recognize addon USB cards

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Mint doesn't recognize addon USB cards

Post by diacad »

I wish to add more USB ports to my system, and have tried 3 different cards from different sources with no results. I thought from core 4.xx up Mint natively supported USB ports. The first card (Orico PVU3-5O2I-V1) supplied directions for 2.xx core modifications, but we are beyond that. The manufacturer contacted me and assured that the card would work in a Linux system.

The other cards were Mailiya PCIe to USB and Syba FGEU207A-1-CN01

My configuration is Mint 18.2, Xeon 6 core 2 Ghz, 16 Gb RAM, ASRock EP2C612D16C-4L motherboard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Mint doesn't recognize addon USB cards

Post by ClixTrix »

If the card(s) has a aux power connector, is it connected? From my experience with USB 3.0 add-on cards, that's a must.

Edit: It's possible your cards may not operate correctly with IOMMU enabled. That's a BIOS feature for VM/virtualization. It is often a problem with VIA chipset and I'm pretty sure the Orico card is VIA. If you test disabled and that works, there is a workaround parameter setting iommu=soft that can be added to grub menu in kernel command line.

FYI.....I was aware of this problem several years ago and targeted NEC/Renesas Chipset when I added a PCI USB 3.0 card to one of my old systems. I did then and still do run VM machines in VirtualBox.

Return to “Hardware Support”