CPU Temp Spikes in AM

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bagpiperlb

CPU Temp Spikes in AM

Post by bagpiperlb »

Hello,

I've noticed something the past few days on my computer: in the morning when waking from sleep, my CPU temp spikes almost all the way up to 60C even when not doing intensive tasks. I'll put it to sleep again for awhile, come back and then CPU temp runs normal (upper 40s to low 50s)? It doesn't seem to cool down until I do that.

Is there something going on "under the hood" as it were on the first wake cycle of a day that's not showing up on my system monitor? I check my system monitor to see if anything is loading my CPU and it shows nothing.

Is this just a hardware issue or is it something in the OS that just does not show up or what? This is making me nervous. This is a brand new computer and I don't want to fry the CPU.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: CPU Temp Spikes in AM

Post by ClixTrix »

Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
bagpiperlb

Post by bagpiperlb »

Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: laptop System: HP product: HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cw0xxx serial: N/A
Mobo: HP model: 84E7 v: 99.19 serial: N/A
UEFI: AMI v: F.13 date: 08/01/2018
Battery BAT0: charge: 41.0 Wh 99.9% condition: 41.0/41.0 Wh (100%)
model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Full
CPU: Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 2300U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (-MCP-)
arch: Zen rev.0 cache: 2048 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 15968
clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 1329 MHz 2: 1384 MHz 3: 1559 MHz
4: 1277 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile]
bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.16hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-42-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 03:00.6
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 03:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-42-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek Device d723
driver: rtl8723de port: f000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 687G used: 26G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 217 Uptime: 13:56 Memory: 2816.6/15050.5MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I see you have a Ryzen 3 2300U. The temp number is probably incorrect. I just posted to another member about the problem with incorrect temp for Zen+ processors.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=282671

FYI....the 4.15 Kernel was released around February this year, and just added the original Zen temp driver update, so the newer processors just haven't gotten fixed in that kernel....yet.
bagpiperlb

Post by bagpiperlb »

Got it, but why would that explain why my temperature spikes in the morning, then when I put it to sleep for awhile and wake it my temps seem to run cooler? That's what I'm not understanding. There's got to be another piece of the puzzle? Or is there?

Should I update the kernel to see what I get? Or will 19.1 feature the new kernel and thus give me more accurate readings?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I've been testing 19.1 beta and it came with the 4.15.0-20 kernel. You might try a newer mainline kernel using the UKUU utility. It's available in Software Manager.

FYI....If I were going to adopt a newer kernel for newer Ryzen/APU support, I'd probably chose 4.19, as it is an LTS kernel from kernel.org.
bagpiperlb

Post by bagpiperlb »

Thank you for this info. I shall try that.

Question: should I upgrade to 19.1 will that revert the kernel or will it keep the later kernel? Also, should this cause problems is there a way to "revert" as it were? Would it be as easy as going to the system snapshots?
bagpiperlb

Post by bagpiperlb »

I installed 4.19.8 from UKUU and even after being loaded by the update I'm showing readings hovering around 48-52C during light to medium use. We shall see if this remains consistent or if I start getting unusually high temp readings again.
bagpiperlb

Post by bagpiperlb »

OK; I put my computer to sleep for a time to go do something, come back and wake it and I'm seeing elevated temperatures again. So either:

1) My computer has inadequate cooling (brand new - there's no way the vents are clogged)
2) The temperature reading still is hit-and-miss at best

It's frustrating, because sometimes it shows what should be an accurate temperature reading and other times it's elevated. I don't know what to make of it. It makes no sense the extreme variance in the temps.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

It looks like a BIOS update is available for that system, F15 (hoping that's the correct link/model).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... c/20284015

I don't see a temp problem listed in fixes, but you never know.

Also, you might try Ubuntu 18.10 for a test. It comes with Ubuntu Kernel 4.18.

Edit: I checked CPU World. According to spec, your CPU is rated for max temp of 105C.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-R ... 2300U.html
bagpiperlb

Post by bagpiperlb »

I might look into some of those.

As far as max temp vs. extended everyday use; what is a good rule of thumb? I imagine as long as I'm below about 60C I'm likely not wearing any of the components out prematurely? I sometimes do intensive tasks that involve a bit more power but other than that I imagine I'm still safe one way or another.

Concerning the BIOS update, is there a way to handle it within Mint or will I have to boot to Windows to handle that?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

If you're normal operating range is well away from the 105C, you're OK. These newer CPUs/APUs have a much higher max temp, then the old 70C processors from years past.

HP (generally) only supports BIOS update from Windows. You might contact them and ask about your system. I know some companies have a flash-drive update method from BIOS.

Return to “Hardware Support”