random keyboard delay [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeB
Level 2
Level 2

random keyboard delay [SOLVED]

Post by JoeB »

I have a Dell Inspiron 11 3185 and I installed Linux Mint XFCE.
The delay is most noticeable in Firefox when I navigate the bookmark menus. I use the arrow keys to move the highlight from one item to the next. Sometimes I press an arrow key and nothing seems to happen so I press the key again and the highlight will skip one item. When I notice that I have pressed a key and nothing is happening, I wait and after 5 to 30 seconds, the highlight will move to the next item. I also notice this in terminal when using the up arrow to scroll through previous commands.
While typing, I notice a slight random delay as I type. Because I am adding characters to the queue, there is a slight delay as I type ( 0.1 second or less) then the screen shows the next couple of characters typed.
Searching, I found a similar report on Window that the author attributed to PCMService.exe but I don't think that applies. I installed XFCE and did not keep Windows.
Thank you for reading and any suggestions are appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeB
Level 2
Level 2

Re: random keyboard delay

Post by JoeB »

I did not think it would make any difference as I thought Mint was based on Ubuntu, but installing Xubuntu has so far fixed my keyboard issue.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

That's good, but disabling the visual effects of Mint Xfce might possibly have solved this as well. :wink:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ts-in-Xfce
(item 5.3, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JoeB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JoeB »

Pjotr's suggestion might work. Since Xubuntu, without disabling anything, still seems to have no keyboard issues, ( The mouse pad is also working a little better) that is my solution.

Return to “Hardware Support”