Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ozbiljan75
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard not working

Post by ozbiljan75 »

Rather curious problem...
Running dual boot, Rafaela 17.2 as my primary OS and Win7 on Dell 5110N Inspirion (AMD powered) and some time ago my keyboard stopped working.
Plugged in USB keyboard and all seemed fine but when I tried to boot Win I found that I can't select any other boot option but first which is Mint, because arrows, page up/down, home/end keys don't work in boot menu.
Tried changing USB ports, tried changing some settings in BIOS (have no problem entering BIOS, F2 and F12, as well as all other keys are working normally), but nothing changed.
Tried another keyboard, same thing - can enter BIOS, can't change boot options, and once system boots, keyboard works fine.
Any idea how to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance.

SuperBoby
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Keyboard not working

Post by SuperBoby »

Hi,

Let me try to clarify :

- The built-in keyboard of your laptop suddenly stopped working
- With any USB keyboard, you can access and use the BIOS, but not GRUB, then you have no problem once it has booted into Mint.

Is that right ? Once booted, does the built-in keyboard work again ?
LMDE 3 Cindy x64 on :
Lenovo Thinkpad T410, X220 Tablet, X61

ozbiljan75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozbiljan75 »

Exactly as you said.
Built-in stopped working (not working at all, not even when Mint boots, not sure why. And having in mind how old laptop is, not sure if I'll ever replace it).
Any USB keyboard works when I try to access BIOS and when I want to change BIOS settings.
Also, when Mint boots, USB keyboard works just fine.
The only moment when USB keyboard is not working is when I want to change boot options (to select another OS that I already have installed on hard drive).

SuperBoby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SuperBoby »

According to several results in this google search, it looks like enabling the Legacy USB support option in the BIOS should solve it.
LMDE 3 Cindy x64 on :
Lenovo Thinkpad T410, X220 Tablet, X61

ozbiljan75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozbiljan75 »

I've also tried Google, but in there's no such an option in BIOS as Legacy support. Tried Googleing legacy support for particular model and found nothing. Thanks anyway.

ClixTrix
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ClixTrix »

Given the age of the laptop, have you ever replaced the CMOS battery?

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-n5110_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf
Linux Mint 19.2 x64 Cinnamon 4.15.0-101-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / Sapphire Radeon HD6450
NVMe-SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

ozbiljan75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozbiljan75 »

No I haven't. It's the original that came when laptop was purchased. But, what the difference would it make?

Return to “Hardware Support”