Wont recognise my PS4 DualShock4 controller

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chrisj01

Wont recognise my PS4 DualShock4 controller

Post by Chrisj01 »

Hi, I cannot get my PS4 controller to be recognised at all.

I'm using Mint 18.1,, kernel 4.8.

I have a generic PS3 controller and never had any issues getting that to work, using xboxdrv, and been working great for years.

Now I bought a DS4, and USB cable, as I don't have a bluetooth adapter. When Its plugged in it just glows orange to show its charging, does not change to blue etc at all. Already have xboxdrv and it does not work with that. I then saw about ds4drv, installed it, but when I run "ds4drv --hidraw" it just gets stuck on "scanning for devices" and never finds it.

I installed jstest-gtk and evtest and neither recognise the controller at all.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Wont recognise my PS4 DualShock4 controller

Post by ClixTrix »

Check out the ds4drv driver.

https://github.com/chrippa/ds4drv
Chrisj01

Post by Chrisj01 »

I already said in my post above that I have...
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I was pointing to the Github site to see if there were any bug reports helpful. That should be the correct driver (from my checks).

Edit: For instance...

https://github.com/chrippa/ds4drv/issues/160

Edit2: Are you sure it's a good controller? Is USB at least detecting the controller? Try running lsusb command from Terminal to see if it is.

Edit3: I see what I did wrong on prior post, copied the wrong URL. I was trying to point to the bug report section. Not enough coffee in me yet. :lol:
Chrisj01

Post by Chrisj01 »

Oh ok, yeah it is a brand new controller, bought it yesterday, and it works on my brothers PS4.

This is the output from lsusb

Code: Select all

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 258a:1006  
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1d57:ad17 Xenta 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
The second one is my keyboard and the second to last is my mouse. So no lsusb does not pick it up. It is not the USB port either as I have tried it various ports, including known working ones.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Does the kernel log (run dmesg from Terminal) give any errors at the point where you plug-in the USB cable? If no, I'm suspecting a bad controller or USB cable. FYI.....some micro-USB cables are for CHARGE ONLY, and don't operate for data use.
Chrisj01

Post by Chrisj01 »

ClixTrix wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 am Does the kernel log (run dmesg from Terminal) give any errors at the point where you plug-in the USB cable? If no, I'm suspecting a bad controller or USB cable. FYI.....some micro-USB cables are for CHARGE ONLY, and don't operate for data use.
No, nothing of note in the kernel log. Well the cable I bought specifically says "Charge and Play" so I don't think it is that. I am seeing my brother again later, so I will use his official USB cable that came with the PS4 to see if it is the cable for definite.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Well, if it's not showing in log and lsusb doesn't show it, pretty good chance it's the cable or the device. Yep, try another cable.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Well, cable might indeed be the problem. Here's a good read...

https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5 ... p/24833039
Chrisj01

Post by Chrisj01 »

ClixTrix wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:36 am Well, cable might indeed be the problem. Here's a good read...

https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5 ... p/24833039
Yeah it turns out it was the cable! The controller works fine with the official cable that came with my brothers PS4! What a con, the box the cable came in said "play and charge"!

Thanks for your help.
Chrisj01

Re: [SOLVED] Wont recognise my PS4 DualShock4 controller

Post by Chrisj01 »

I was on Linux Mint 18.1, but have done fresh install on 19.1 and now the controller works fine, but for some really odd reason, when I connect the controller to the USB cable, it cuts off ALL of my sound. Like no sound comes from anything, the game/system or anything at all.

One thing that is different is when I was on 18.1 and connected the cable the light on the PS4 controller did not light up at all, even thought the controller worked fine. Now it does light up, but get this issue with the sound. Really weird.
linuxubuntu Chrisj17 is online now Report This Post

Return to “Hardware Support”