Problem with display resolution

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lcallison

Problem with display resolution

Post by lcallison »

Bear with me. I used linux a long time ago, but not much for the last 20 years. I have installed XFCE on an HP Elite Book 8530W and it runs great except that when I try to change the display resolution, I get a black screen and no way to recover. Fortunately, I had created a second user for my grandkids and am able to get it using it. I have tried changing the video driver with no help. The first 2 times, I had to do a complete reinstall. I am currently running the nouveau driver. When I use the nvidia driver, it doesn't offer any resolution other than 1920x1200 resolution with 60hz refresh rate. With the current driver, it offers me a long list of resolutions with the same refresh rate, but when I try to change the resolution, I get the black screen. I ran the inxi -?, but can't get to it now with this login. If I have the command, I will run it again and post it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lcallison

Re: Problem with display resolution

Post by lcallison »

Iran init -fxz and xrandr. Here are the results.
xrandr.txt
inxi -Fxz.txt
xrandr.txt
inxi -Fxz.txt
lcallison

Post by lcallison »

Sorry about doing the files twice.
lcallison

Post by lcallison »

I have also found that it won't reboot. It shuts down ok, but never restarts. I'm thinking I'm going to reinstall with 18.3 I know several people with 18.3 that don't have any problems. If I don't have a fix for the display resolution by Monday, I'll do so.
lcallison

Re: Problem with display resolution-Not solved, but FINISHED

Post by lcallison »

Well, I did some more stuff. I downloaded and installed 18.3 xfce using 2 different install dvd's. Both times, as soon as I installed the most limited updates, I lost all video as soon as I logged in. I figure that old Elite Book just doesn't like Linux.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Would you post the output of xrandr --prop

If Windows was previously installed, was there any problem switching resolutions?
What resolution did you prefer?

Return to “Hardware Support”