alienware 13 R3 , keyboard lights / AlienFX / AlienComandCenter NOT WORKING! Searching for solutions from other users.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vflo

alienware 13 R3 , keyboard lights / AlienFX / AlienComandCenter NOT WORKING! Searching for solutions from other users.

Post by vflo »

Hello i'm new to linux, but i really like the linux mint and i install this os to my alienware 13 R3, after solving the video card problem with nomodeset, now i'm facing another situation: the keyboard lights don't work, as i read some topics in this forum other have the blue lights from the start, but i don't have no light no nothing, just a normal keyboard. I was trying to use the akbl script , but after i install it i get this message when i try to start it: "the guy cannot start because the daemon is off"/ "Gtk-Message: 12:22:42.022: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.".
The pyAlienFX won't work on my alienware 13 r3 and the turitorials on archwiki on how to install the keyboard light script won't work, here is the message that i receive after i try to ./run :

root@0:~/lights/hack-alienfx# ./run seq/snooze
failed to open usb device
+ Error opening device
[timestamp] [threadID] facility level [function call] <message>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 0.005415] [00000c47] libusb: debug [libusb_get_device_list]
[ 0.005429] [00000c47] libusb: debug [libusb_get_device_descriptor]
[ 0.005432] [00000c47] libusb: debug [libusb_get_device_descriptor]
[ 0.005435] [00000c47] libusb: debug [libusb_get_device_descriptor]
[ 0.005438] [00000c47] libusb: debug [libusb_get_device_descriptor]
[ 0.005459] [00000c47] libusb: debug [libusb_get_device_descriptor]
failed to open usb device
root@0:~/lights/hack-alienfx#

If anyone has the same alienware 13 R3 that is using linux mint and his keyboard lights are working, please help me!

I don't know if i post this tread in the right place, as this is the first time i'm posting here. If i made a mistake i apologize. Thank you for your understanding and hope someone can help me with this situation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jawkneebee+88

Re: alienware 13 R3 , keyboard lights / AlienFX / AlienComandCenter NOT WORKING! Searching for solutions from other user

Post by Jawkneebee+88 »

did you ever figure this out? I just installed mint on my alienware m17 R2 my case color is stuck on pink lol
chrissmcc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: alienware 13 R3 , keyboard lights / AlienFX / AlienComandCenter NOT WORKING! Searching for solutions from other user

Post by chrissmcc »

On my alienware mx17r4 I boot into Windows 10 to set the keyboard colors.
Jawkneebee+88

Post by Jawkneebee+88 »

I had to uninstall windows 10 because it was in Chinese language and it's not a simple fix. I just bought this laptop and said screw it ill put Linux mint on it. it's not a deal breaker top lid is green lights bottom lights are pink key board lights are the rainbow colors and the track pad lights up all kinds of colors. :) only wished I could change the pink lol
sibertiger

Post by sibertiger »

I have a question about this, sorry if this is the wrong way to do this...

I recently picked up a Dell G5 5505. Removed Windows and Installed Linux Mint 20. When I try to install akbl, by double clicking setup, it asks me if I want to run it or display contents. When I try to run it, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong here?

Return to “Hardware Support”